Seeking suggestions for terminals for quick-swap battery

Involute

Joined Mar 23, 2008
I'm working on a project that's going be using one of these 12V batteries (dimensions are 7.07" L x 1.40" W x 2.42" H). I'm going to keep it in a tray that allows it to be easily removed and swapped with another that will be sitting in a trickle charger. I'd like the user to be able to slide the tray out, remove the battery, drop in the replacement, and slide the tray back in, without requiring him to make/remove any connections. I don't mind hooking up wires to the tabs which then terminate in some connector that mates with something in my piece of equipment, though the connector on the battery will need to be fixed to the battery so, again , the user doesn't have to fiddle with anything.

I originally thought of using ready-made spring battery contacts like these, placed so that the battery tabs pressed up against them when the battery tray was in place, but now I'm thinking they may be too fiddly to mount in the equipment. Then I thought of using a couple of banana plugs mating with a pair of banana jacks. I'm sure I can get either of these approaches to work, but thought I'd check here to see if someone has a better idea. Thanks for any tips.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The easiest may be for each battery to have its own tray with a connector on the back of the tray that makes contact with the mating connector at the end of the tray compartment when it's slid in the compartment.
Each battery would be permanently wired to its tray connector [which could be a pair of banana plugs and jacks, with jacks (below) on the tray to avoid shorts, and plugs in the tray].
upload_2017-9-14_22-55-29.png upload_2017-9-15_0-7-35.png
That way there's no fiddling with wires or connectors, or concerns about correct polarity.
You just slide out the old tray and slide in the new.

The trickle charger could also have a tray compartment with mating connector plugs when the battery is being charged.

Last edited:

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Anderson PowerPole connectors?
Or the venerable Jones connectors.

It's tempting to suggest certain audio connectors, like XLR or Neutrik Speakon, since they're rugged and latch when plugged in.