Security in Orlando

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I'm spending the weekend in Orlando with my daughter. Everywhere we have gone, we've spent an hour in line waiting for "security" to check our bags and going through magnetometers. They even look inside ladies purses and wallets.

Is this the way we wish to live going forward? Unless certain changes are made, things are only going to get worse.

How long before we are routinely asked, "papers, please."

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I'm spending the weekend in Orlando with my daughter. Everywhere we have gone, we've spent an hour in line waiting for "security" to check our bags and going through magnetometers. They even look inside ladies purses and wallets.

Is this the way we wish to live going forward? Unless certain changes are made, things are only going to get worse.

How long before we are routinely asked, "papers, please."
Welcome to fascism.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
The worst part is, I cannot carry my gun anywhere. I have to depend on the rent-a-cops to protect me and my family. If things don't go back to "normal", this is a city I'll no longer be able to visit. At least not without getting arrested.

Oh! And, I have to keep leaving my gun in the car. Big plus for the thieves!

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Further, I have never left a gun in my car till this weekend (nor have I walked an unknown area without one). I feel completely irresponsible (and vulnerable). And I'll probably be held liable if someone steals it and uses it in commission of a crime.

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
About time you all woke up in America. Is it going to take more Islamic terrorist attacks before you finally jettison political correctness to call it what it is - the opening rounds in the attempt to drag the world back to the 'glory' of the Middle Ages.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
For the benefit of @GopherT, who may not be aware, a holstered gun is completely benign. On the other hand, each time a weapon must be handled, there is a possibility, low but not zero, of accidental discharge.

Having to repeatedly holster and unholster my gun, depending on where I am and where I am going, creates an additional danger, to myself and others, where none had existed before.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I don't get any of the raised security procedures that come up behind these sort of actions.

We know who did it and why and that they do not represent the norm and standard of society plus they are not of any significant influence to anyone who is not already planning to do such an act to begin with. So what exactly do we have to fear or gain from going on high alert when the bad guy has been caught or killed and their reasons for their actions made public?

Personally, I think we need more average everyday people with proper permits and training walking the streets (and in political positions) with open unconcealed firearms on their belts, not less. :(

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Personally, I think we need more average everyday people with proper permits and training walking the streets (and in political positions) with open unconcealed firearms on their belts, not less. :(
There is my problem with CC. 4 to 6 hours of a CC class do NOT make you prepared for defending your self or others.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
There is my problem with CC. 4 to 6 hours of a CC class do NOT make you prepared for defending your self or others.
The vast majority of people realize that and train at indoor or outdoor ranges to gain proficiency. This is something serious CCW holders tend to do a lot more than the average on the beat cop. How many rounds do you think police have to shoot annually for practice to requalify? Maybe 50 rounds twice a year on a official range.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
The vast majority of people realize that and train at indoor or outdoor ranges to gain proficiency. This is something serious CCW holders tend to do a lot more than the average on the beat cop. How many rounds do you think police have to shoot annually for practice to requalify? Maybe 50 rounds twice a year on a official range.
In Arizona all you need to do is buy the gun.
They do have some on-line classes though. :D

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The vast majority of people realize that and train at indoor or outdoor ranges to gain proficiency
The ones I know around here seem to think reading a few gun magazines give them all they need, after the "required" training. That's why if they go "there", I go somewhere else.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
The ones I know around here seem to think reading a few gun magazines give them all they need, after the "required" training. That's why if they go "there", I go somewhere else.
So where is the epidemic of CCFL accidents that must occur constantly for this to be true?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Not to worry. I will make no effort to defend anyone who is not me, my family, or those known to me.

I will dial 911 as soon as I safely can. The cops will be by shortly to protect you.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
It's interesting here. I think in the last 5 years I have see 2 guys carrying.
When Gabby Giffords was shot there was one guy in the whole shopping center that came forward. He said later he almost shot the guy that had taken the gun away from the shooter when some little old lady grabbed his next clip when he dropped it.
I don't think a lot of people carry even though they can easily. They just seem to want a gun. Maybe just for the house I guess.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Never said a 4 - 6-hour class. I said PROPERLY trained.

Most of the guys I know that have CC that I would trust with my life tend to spend an hour or more every week or two at the firing range making dang sure they are good with their firearms and know when and how to use them.

Not to worry. I will make no effort to defend anyone who is not me, my family, or those known to me.
Sounds reasonable to me! :D

That's how I would handle it plus the added clause that anyone I know who is a well-known local scumbag or worse may just accidentally get shot anyway. Public service with plausible deniability on it being intentional. :p

(I don't know what happened officer. I had a clear shot at the bad guy and Joe idiot stepped right in front of me as I pulled the trigger even though I had made it clear for him to stay down. As for why he's bent over and duct taped and that chair with a fatal bullet wound up his butt..... Isn't that how you're supposed to administer first aid for a gunshot wound?) :oops: