Searching for the right component!

brendyboy

Joined Dec 21, 2005
Good day to you all

My knowledge of the range of electronics components is a little hazey!

Im looking for a component which acts as a physical switch, or lever (something with a small moving mechanical component) so that when current passes through, it flicks one way, and when current stops passing through, it flicks another way (preferably in the opposite direction). Are relay swtiches what Im after?? If so what type?

Would appreciate any help!

Cheers

Brendan

brendyboy

Joined Dec 21, 2005
Thanks for the advice guys - I'll have a read through that chapter thingmaker3 as I could do with learning more about relays.

A friend of mine mentioned a solenoid as I described what I was trying to achieve. does this work in a similar way as a relay? After all im just after an electromechanical component which can be used as a remote switch.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Yeah, solenoid is what I first thought of.

A relay has a solenoid inside it that moves electrical contacts.

Basically, a solenoid is an electrical coil, with a moveable armature able to slide within the coil, that is made of a ferrous material (iron, steel, etc) It may or may not be spring-loaded to force a "known" state.

An ordinary old-fashioned "ding-dong" type of doorbell is a common use for a spring-loaded solenoid.

Relays are used in automotive applications quite a bit, among other places. I mention autos, because nearly everyone has access to one, or an auto parts store.

brendyboy

Joined Dec 21, 2005
..... Just one last thing

I want to connect this solenoid to a circuit with an 18v battery. Will it be likely for me to find a solenoid no longer than 5cm which will handle this voltage??

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The most imortant consideration is the load you are going to switch. If it's low volts and small current, then a relay that small is possible. If it's 120 VAC @ 20 amps, you're going to need a physically larger relay.

Perhaps you could share your application, so we can make better guesses?

brendyboy

Joined Dec 21, 2005
my circuit will consist of a 18vdc battery with a hedge trimmer motor. the idea is to have an atomatic switch (the solenoid) to act as a release pin for a small mechanism.

I hope this clears things up. I'm also not sure of the power of the motor. I assume it's measured in wattage??

thanks guys

bren