Searching for a suitable method to detect peak heights of nanosecond pulses

partheniusx

Joined Jul 23, 2018
Dear all,

My goal is to digitize an analog signal and measure the maximum pulse peaks via an ADC device. The signal has the frequency (pulse-repetition-rate) of f = 100 kHz. Furthermore, the analog signal consists of narrow pulses that exhibit pulse durations around ~30 ns. In addition, peak voltages of the pulses are not constant and change in time. In the attached file, you can see the illustration of the signal. (Note: Actually, pulses are not rectangular-shaped. They have the form of a Gaussian pulse.)
Untitled.png
The problem is that comparing to the period of the signal, pulse durations are very short. So, I think that it is a real challenge to accurately capture the each pulse and detect their peak voltages via an ADC component. I don't know which ADC meet my requirements to detect pulse amplitudes, since I couldn't decide the required sampling rate and bandwidth of ADC.

I don't want to use GSPS-ADCs, since their prices are really high. Can I use kSPS range ADCs to detect pulse heights? (e.g. only one sample for one pulse) I think this method requires the accurate synchronization of ADC clock to analog signal, am I right?

Can you guys give me some design advice to chose a proper ADC to digitize such a signal?

Thanks in advance.