searching for a special relay

captoro

Joined Jun 21, 2009
Hello.

I am looking for a relay that once the coil is energize it flips to 87 and once the coil is deactivated stays at 87. Then when the coil activates again flips back to 87a and stays there once the coil is deactivated.
Does it have a special name. Does it exist?

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you want the relay to switch positions with the same polarity signal, then you want an alternate-action or impulse relay such as this, not a latching relay.
It's similar to what they use in automatic garage door openers.

captoro

Joined Jun 21, 2009
ok thanks, I was looking for a low cost solution, this is NOT it. I will look for another solution. Latching relays are expensive.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
ok thanks, I was looking for a low cost solution, this is NOT it. I will look for another solution. Latching relays are expensive.
If you up to building a small circuit with a digital IC and a few passive parts, that could work for you.
It would be an alternate action flip-flop to drive a standard relay.
The part will need a source of continuous power for it and the relay.

What load voltage and current is the relay driving?

What is generating the signal to control the relay?

Boggart

Joined Jan 31, 2022
Latching relay modules are available on aliexpress and ebay for a few $, but there are automotive grade latching relays for around US$10, such as part number V23136-L0031-D642 available at digikey and mouser. Actually, that part number is a SPST relay, there's probably a DT version, you will have to search for it if that's what you need.

vu2nan

Joined Sep 11, 2014
What you require is known as a 'ratchet' or 'impulse' relay.

1.png

Its contact changes over on one pulse to its coil and reverts on the subsequent pulse.

In other words, its contact changes over on one push of the button and reverts on the subsequent push.

Here's an animation courtesy Homofaciens.de.

Nandu.

Last edited:

norfolknick

Joined Aug 15, 2020
VW Beetles use a lathing relay for switching between high and low beam. An pulse from the dipper switch flips between one state and the other. Google: VW 1009410006 it could be what you are looking for. Nick

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hello.

I am looking for a relay that once the coil is energize it flips to 87 and once the coil is deactivated stays at 87. Then when the coil activates again flips back to 87a and stays there once the coil is deactivated.
Does it have a special name. Does it exist?
Certainly such relays existed. They were used in some TV remote control systems. They were called "Alternate Action" relays. The addition was a small piece that flipped a cam one way or the other. About as simple as can be. Alternate action relays are probably still available today.