SCR Crowbar Circuit Help

1CM69

Joined Jun 12, 2017
Or you could put 560 ohms where D2 is.
Or make the pot 2K and place that in series with 8.2K 5% or 8.87K 1% for a finer range of adjustment.

These are not important changes. Just options, mostly to demonstrate the kind of fine tuning methods that come from experience in designing analog circuits.
Thanks, that'll be v2.0 I think.:)

1CM69

Joined Jun 12, 2017
Just a quick question while i'm here, the n-channel mosfet, the 3 pins are S, D & G.

I can see the G goes to GATE but am I correct in thinking that the D goes to V-OUT & S to V-IN?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
If the drawing is right, source is the output. Source is always where the elbow of the gate is drawn...and the connection to the little pointy thing.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I can see the G goes to GATE but am I correct in thinking that the D goes to V-OUT & S to V-IN?
That would be true for a P-MOSFET but this is an N-MOSFET so the source (S) is the output (as shown).
The LTC4365 has a built-in charge pump to generate the required gate voltage above the input voltage to fully turn on the N-MOSFET in a source output configuration.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Is this correct - pins labelled for ease?View attachment 128902
The wiper can be connected as shown or to ground.
Typically you want a clockwise turning of the pot knob to increase the trip voltage (reduce the resistance).
For that you need to know towards which end (1 or 3) the wiper moves with rotation (usually shown in the pot data sheet).
If you don't care which pot knob direction increases the voltage then the connection shown will certainly work.

1CM69

Joined Jun 12, 2017
The wiper can be connected as shown or to ground.
Typically you want a clockwise turning of the pot knob to increase the trip voltage (reduce the resistance).
For that you need to know towards which end (1 or 3) the wiper moves with rotation (usually shown in the pot data sheet).
If you don't care which pot knob direction increases the voltage then the connection shown will certainly work.
Looks like it's clockwise from 1 to 3: http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/15aa/0900766b815aa64c.pdf

So I am good yeah?

Would it function any differently connecting the wiper to GND?