science of tea making

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
How do you make your tea? I use a hot water kettle (plastic, 230 volts).

The latest idea is to dissolve hardboiled candy kinds- about 3 of them added before the hot water, then they dissolve quickly actually.

Currently I'm going through a 130 grams bag butter scotch (costed 1 euro).
And some Granini Multivitamin candy to follow soon (filled actually), similar bag size/price point.

Its not as messy as sugar granules, and adds interesting flavours to the hot tea!

Broken down pieces of cinnamon can be used a few times, leach out flavour each time.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Most I boil a pot of filter water and drink mostly litpon regular tea but my personal favorite is chinese tea.. I use not sugar or any extras cause I belive it takes
away from the tea..

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
[In a glass without milk and sugar. Just a slice of lemon. If I am able to obtain Lapsang Souchong then I drink it without the lemon so as to fully appreciate the taste. The hot water has to be freshly boiled of course.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I don't!

Black coffee! :D
The same here, but once, I preferred tea to coffee: when leaving Philippines through the San Bernardino Strait bound to San Antonio (Chile) in heavy weather. Something told me that coffee would be bad for me.

When the wind started, I suspected that I would have more than a cup (I finally spent almost 24 hours in the bridge until I finally went down to my cabin). Worst storm ever for me as a seaman. :oops: :oops:

The tea on board, from the previous port, Colombo (Sri Lanka) was excellent. I even enjoyed it. :) Nice taste, it also smelled good. That day, crew had no hot meals, just sandwiches...and tea!

Pity is, that in consonance with the several damages suffered by the vessel, in my cabin, a beautiful (and valuable) coral I forgot to leave on the floor prior sailing from Manila Bay (usual procedure for anything on shelves), was shattered to more than 50 small pieces. :(

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Isn't it called the unlocking process?
I spent some time in Libya many moons ago and the Arabs used to make tea (Shai) similar to Turkish style, where the tea is boiled and steeped with ALOT of sugar, it is served in a shot size glass, very black, very sweet, very strong.
But I did acquire a taste for it. :cool:
Max.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Last Saturday I was at a party at my sisters house. She'd been to Jacksonville, TX, and visited some friends. Over there she bought some coffee which she served at the party. It was some kind of hazelnut coffee. She made the coffee in a cafetiere. (Don't know if that what it's called but I used Google translate...) It was delicious and it was a sent of hazelnut in the room. I guess the coffee beans where roasted together with the nuts, or something...

I take a dash of coffee and a cup of water. After 20-something years drinking coffee, I measure with my eyes.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
My current coffee maker, present from a friend in UK is a selfish Bodum for one cup. I use much less time and taste is assured. Easy to clean and use.

Additional advantage: the cup where the water is boiled, is where I percolate and drink the coffe.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Isn't it called the unlocking process?
I spent some time in Libya many moons ago and the Arabs used to make tea (Shai) similar to Turkish style, where the tea is boiled and steeped with ALOT of sugar, it is served in a shot size glass, very black, very sweet, very strong.
But I did acquire a taste for it. :cool:
Max.
That, and narguile seem to serve as good excuses for long conversations. Locally, it is an espresso instead. (Cafecito)

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
i suffer from not having anyone who truly appreciates the tea drinking process :)
I sont like it sweet though

and if you are getting sick, mix hot tea with red wine, lemon and honey. Does your body good

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I like the off-the-shelf orange and cinnamon mix... I remove the staple out of the teabag, then tie a knot with the string and microwave the mug for 90 seconds... water, teabag sugar and all.... I found that this way the tea releases all of its flavor by just lightly squeezing the teabag with a spoon...
Of course, nooking one's tea is probably not the most elegant and classy way to prepare it ... but it works for me...

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I've worked on a tea farm for a short time, real tea plants + harvesting.
Thats not where I got the idea with cold extracting, its a real thing I didnt make it up.
http://www.samovartea.com/how-to-make-cold-brewed-teas/

You can even leach out used tea or bags with coca cola, gives it a distinct note.

And dont be paranoid of bacteria- the ones that can remain dormant on dried tea and then kill you are rare.