Science Channel Program About Bermuda Triangle

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
@nsaspook I never said the Navy NEEDED GPS. They have, on the west coast, disrupted (jammed) GPS for about four hours a number of years back this century. They recently cancelled a jamming test this year.

Introducing a bias into the GPS system certainly could position Loosewire from FL to Groom Lake. :)

You were probably active when it was called NAVSTAR GPS and it took 12 hours to get a fix.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
@nsaspook I never said the Navy NEEDED GPS. They have, on the west coast, disrupted (jammed) GPS for about four hours a number of years back this century. They recently cancelled a jamming test this year.

Introducing a bias into the GPS system certainly could position Loosewire from FL to Groom Lake. :)

You were probably active when it was called NAVSTAR GPS and it took 12 hours to get a fix.
I think mainly the carriers had testing equipment for pre GPS and BLOCK 1 birds in the 79-82 time period. Some of the early ones also carried nuclear detonation detectors for the SALT treaties. We did have LORAN and sometime used the Russian systems for time and location when in the Indian Ocean. The Russian TASS agency ran a few military radio services and propaganda from Radio Kabul in the 80's. They had a really good in the clear news service on TTY we copied for general world news for the crew from the radio control room.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_News_Agency_TASS

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I tracked the western USSR loran c chain one night for S&G on the third receiver. I did tell the officers it was for training purposes to see the mornings dinural effects. I really didn't want to mark the charts. I did notice the stability of their oscillator and it settle down after the US station resumed transmissions. This was in the late 70s.