Schematic Software

Darkadept

Joined May 30, 2005
Way back when I was in highschool I remember using a windows 3.1 app that allowed me to design simple circuits and test them out. Is there any software out there now that is similar? I am starting to get back into electronics and need to start from square one. I want to mess around with designing simple circuits. I've seen a lot of fancy programs but they are all to advanced.

thanks

Firestorm

Joined Jan 24, 2005
Hey Darkadept,

Welcome to AAC. About how advanced do you want it.
For simple circuits, there are some paint symbols(I can post them on here is you need um) where you copy the component then place on paint.

For a lil' bit more advanced but still fairly simple, try eagle or circuitmaker(www.microcode.com). I started out with these 2 and really like circuit maker student version(the free one) :). Hope this helps.

-fire

Darkadept

Joined May 30, 2005
Thanks guys, I'm checking those programs out right now.

I actually found another one. I'm using Oregano which is a graphical
interface to SPICE. I'm running it under linux. It's probably not as nice as
a commercial program though.

Thanks again.

Firestorm

Joined Jan 24, 2005
If you look hard enough, you will notice there are plenty of programs out there(hopefully one more in the future). A couple of friends of mine and I are designing our own open source schematic program that will be the user friendly and easier to create components along with quick drawing capabilities. Not sure if we are gonna put Pspice on it or not but we'll have to see how everything turns out. Then we're gonna build a compatable pcb program. Never really knew how much work went into building one of these programs lol :D. (If anyone wants to help pm me)

Fixing to look into Oregano, hope it works out 4 ya :)
thx l8er

-fire

Firestorm

Joined Jan 24, 2005
There are many versions of SPICE out there. Many have different reasons for being made. Some that I have looked into are P-SPICE, AIM-SPICE, and SUPERSPICE. Basically personal preference...thx l8er

-fire