Opinions on best *free* schematic drawing software?

zemanekj

Joined Jan 31, 2019
I'm tired of drawing circuits with pen and paper and would like to upgrade to a free software that I can download instead. I'm not drawing super complicated circuits, but I still would like something that helps make clean/organized looking electrical schematics. Maybe even one that will simulate the circuit for me once it's built.

It looks like there are a ton of software programs out there. Any recommendations from some experienced users?

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
I too use paint... I have downloaded many symbols all of the same scale and I copy and paste..

I have ISIS but when exporting to picture, it doesn't convert very well.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I use variations of all of the above depending on the situation.

1) If I can find a diagram already done then I fix it with Corel Photo House.

2) For publication quality drawings I use Scheme-It on the DigiKey website.

3) For quick schematics and simulation I use CircuitMaker 2000.

fengzhi

Joined Jul 19, 2023
If you are familiar with designer altium, circuit maker may be something you might like. Then there is eagle, which is decent and is probably still the most popular tool for home designers. Kicad keeps getting better and better too.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
I use LTSpice for all my simulation. Schematic capture in KiCad when I need a free solution.

I also maintain a couple of Altium licenses for my business and this is clearly the tool of choice but is not cheap.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
something that helps make clean/organized looking electrical schematics.
The "best" schematic entry program won't prevent you from drawing crappy schematics. Drawing an easy to read schematic is more art than science. Bob Pease drew "terrible" schematics but was an excellent designer with few peers.

FWIW, I use a free version of Eagle for drawing schematics. On the very rare occasions that I want to simulate a circuit, I use LTspice.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Have you read the terms of use to that? Seems like anything you design using that application ends up belonging to Digikey. If I read it correctly. :)
Could you cite where you are reading something that is giving that impression?

You can set your schematics to be private (only you can open them), shared (only people with a link you provide can open them), or public (anyone can open them).

Their generic Terms of Use has similar boilerplate language as any site in which people have the ability to contribute things (such as forum posts, and AAC has very similar boilerplate). However, they expressly disclaim ownership of ANY user supplied information and also expressly state that they will not commercialize any project you submit to "Project Sites" without your permission. It's unclear what, if any, connection "Project Sites" has with Scheme-It, though I suspect it is including in that umbrella, even though it is not specifically listed in the preamble.