Schematic for the ac/dc detector?

lowvoltage

Joined Apr 5, 2004
Hi all,

I have spent some time reading about transistor amplification on this site within the last week. I found it helpful and it turned some new light onto the subject because it was presented in a slightly different way than I have seen it before. Or maye I just listened better this time.

My question is about the page showing what tools are needed to set up a home lab. One device I am interested in, that I don't have, is the voltage detector for ac and dc voltages. At least if I have it I don't recognize it as such.

Anyway, is there a place on this site where I can see the circuit diagram for that device? I can read electronics schematics, so I won't need a photo or a hand drawn picture of the inner workings.

If there is no schematic can someone describe the principle under which the thing works? I'm guessing it might be an audio oscillator that's switched for the differnt inputs of ac (capacitvely coupled) or dc with a resistor.

Thanks for any help,
lowvoltage

lowvoltage

Joined Apr 5, 2004
Well I found it!

I'll let everyone off the hook for the answer. I went to the first chapter and did a search using the title (or caption) under the picture of the device.

Good idea! Maybe I'll try building it.

lowvoltage

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
There are better things to do than inventing the wheel. Fun as the circuit might be, it's likely that a regular old multimeter will do the trick nicely. It also has the advantage of being useful for resistance measurements, too.

Please don't feel abused. It's just that unless you have some need to investigate some really arcane stuff, a middle-range Radio Shack multimeter is about as handy as things get.

lowvoltage

Joined Apr 5, 2004
beenthere,

I think you're right.

As mentioned in my second post I found the schematic by going back to the forum and doing a search using keywords.

I'm sure building the project would be a fun exersise, but as you said, just re-inventing the wheel, a wheel in fact that's already connected to a V8 motor.

Thanks for the input,
lowvoltage