Save the batteries and the landfills

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Load current was that of a 2032 battery. But lets not get lost in my (non) issue. Don't want to hijack the thread. The TS wants to replace batteries with something plug-in. Or multiple plug-in's. I'm not a fan of the diode idea. Not saying it doesn't work, just saying it didn't work for me. For whatever reason.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Load current was that of a 2032 battery. But lets not get lost in my (non) issue. Don't want to hijack the thread. The TS wants to replace batteries with something plug-in. Or multiple plug-in's. I'm not a fan of the diode idea. Not saying it doesn't work, just saying it didn't work for me. For whatever reason.
The voltage drop through a silicon power diode does not increase very much over a wide range of current variations. It is not good enough for many applications that demand tight regulation, but all of those battery things that I have seen will continue to function until the battery is down to 3/4 of the voltage, at least. Often moving slower, but still moving. AND the series power diode will not oscillate no matter what, and it does not need a ground reference point. It may need a good heat sink, though.