sandwitch modular vs flex cable

Ahmad Arief Rivaldi

Joined Mar 23, 2019
I want to design electronics products in modular for data acquisition devices, but I need some suggestions witch one better design and pro cons between using sandwich modular like in Arduino and their shield or using flex cable like in laptop or any similar device?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The connection scheme to use with data acquisition modules depends mostly on what they will be used with.
Consider that the entire Arduino product realm, including all of the terminology, is made to be different from all other systems.
If the intention is to have a product to be used by many others, then there are already several common form factors and connection systems in existence, and it will make sense to create a product that will connect with other products. Arduino products seem to be designed to not connect with other products, and so do not seem like a good choice.

Ahmad Arief Rivaldi

Joined Mar 23, 2019
The connection scheme to use with data acquisition modules depends mostly on what they will be used with.
Consider that the entire Arduino product realm, including all of the terminology, is made to be different from all other systems.
If the intention is to have a product to be used by many others, then there are already several common form factors and connection systems in existence, and it will make sense to create a product that will connect with other products. Arduino products seem to be designed to not connect with other products, and so do not seem like a good choice.
sorry for my miss concept or misused word, what I meant with sandwich modular is a stackable device like in the picture below,
01.jpg
I want to make something that I can change or upgrade some parts in the future without making a whole new device, in this project like I separate the core, power supply system, input channel, and some interfaces that I can upgrade in the future. and yeah I don't have any plan to use Arduino actually, I have a plan to use esp or stm for the core

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, that makes sense. It is a good concept as well, I can assume, because presently there are quite a few products available that use that scheme for interconnection.

My suggestion is to examine the specifications of the currently available products and see if there is an arrangement that will fit your design. Not only will you be starting out with an idea already shown to work, but you will also have a lot more choices available if you want to add to your system. And using a part of a design that is already working saves a lot of effort.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Don’t put two interconnects at right angles.
I would recommend using a single interconnect.
Look up mezzanine form factor for ideas.
Also have a look at PC104 form factor.