Samsung DVD Surround Player.

Pegasus3245

Joined Apr 25, 2018
Hi,
One of my speaker wires shorted causing one of the capacitors to melt.

The circuit still looks good, and it still works.

I am going to replace the capacitor that's melted.

Unfortunately I'm a novice in electronics!! The existing capacitors don't have any writing on, so I am unsure which type to purchase...

Does anyone know what type would normally be used in this type of circuit?

I have attached an image for your perusal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hi,
One of my speaker wires shorted causing one of the capacitors to melt.
The existing capacitors don't have any writing on, so I am unsure which type to purchase...
I'm wondering how you know the melted device was a capacitor. I'm virtually certain that the capacitors I see in your photo will have markings on them adequate to identify them. And capacitors don't usually "melt", they explode. Anything that causes a cap to explode may well have roasted another component as well.

I suggest posting some better pictures.

Pegasus3245

Joined Apr 25, 2018
Exploded may be a better word, it was black and twice the size than the others.

But your right, I've just taken a closer look to take a better picture and found one does have writing on it, 474j 100v. So I guess I've answered my own question.

It may well have caused further damage, but I figured it's worth trying a new capacitor for £2 than a new board or amplifier for much more.

Thanks for your reply, at least it prompted a closer look.

I'll let you know if it works once replaced.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Exploded may be a better word, it was black and twice the size than the others.

But your right, I've just taken a closer look to take a better picture and found one does have writing on it, 474j 100v. So I guess I've answered my own question.

It may well have caused further damage, but I figured it's worth trying a new capacitor for £2 than a new board or amplifier for much more.

Thanks for your reply, at least it prompted a closer look.

I'll let you know if it works once replaced.
474j is a 470nF capacitor...

http://cpc.farnell.com/wima/mks4-0-47uf-10-4/capacitor-0-47uf-400v/dp/CA05650

Pegasus3245

Joined Apr 25, 2018
Hi All,
Just an update, took a while had to wait for the capacitors to be delivered (couple of quid on amazon).

But anyway, it worked, system is working fine again for the past week without any issues, looks like I got lucky as to not cause any major damage to the board.

Thanks all for your help.