safety issue with sensor?

clangray

Joined Nov 4, 2018
Hi,

I have a sensor that I have on a tiny breadboard 4 x 4. Its an IR, passes 100ma, works great. I want to mount it with 2 sided sticky tape on metallic-like frame. Its connected with Arduino cable a couple of feet from the base breadboard. Then it hit me, the bottom of the tiny breadboard seems somewhat exposed - do I need a layer of insulation tape (2 sided sticky) that insulates or maybe I need to put it in a enclosure? Ideally would like to leave it as is and mount it, but am concerned about bottom of sensor mock-up and 100ma.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2463?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3MPIkt_Z3wIVRLjACh2d0AM7EAQYAiABEgLFtPD_BwE

Last edited:

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
With the voltages present on the PCB, there is no safety hazard with regards you touching any part of the circuit – hence an enclosure protecting against accidental contact (for safety purposes) is not required.

However it is entirely possible that some conductive object/surface may contact the PCB, causing the circuit to malfunction and/or component damage – therefore some form of protection should be considered. An enclosure may be more aesthetically pleasing versus a layer of PVC insulation tape.

clangray

Joined Nov 4, 2018
With the voltages present on the PCB, there is no safety hazard with regards you touching any part of the circuit – hence an enclosure protecting against accidental contact (for safety purposes) is not required.

However it is entirely possible that some conductive object/surface may contact the PCB, causing the circuit to malfunction and/or component damage – therefore some form of protection should be considered. An enclosure may be more aesthetically pleasing versus a layer of PVC insulation tape.
This photo seems to indicate that the breadboard is backed with 2 sided sticky material. This is reassuring that my intentions are pretty much the same with the small breadboard:

20190106_172439.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: