RV Dual 12v circut switch and Voltage stability

B_G

Joined Nov 11, 2019
Hi,
I have a class C RV that came with 3x circuits wired in. There are 2x 12v circuts, deepcell and Auto, and the 30A 110v pigtail.

The auto circut is only for the Van part of the RV. The radio and CB were are all hooked to the deep cell circut. The deep cell circut only charges when the pigtail is hooked up. My problem was, on long trips, the deepcell would die, and I would loose CB and Radio until I plug in. So, I added a security/backup camera system and added a 12v multi switch so that I can switch the radio/CB/Cameras to either the Van circut (and charge while driving), the deepcell circut, or both together. I figure the "switched circut" pulls about 8 amps with the radio/CB/cameras all running together. Well, the camera system has these ghost bars on the screen, but only when plugged in and the deepcell is charging.

My thought is to add a 3 farad capicator from an old car/amp system that I have to help stabilize the circut while plugged in. It has some kind of rectifier and voltage meter built right in to the top of it. I hope it will help stabilize the deepcell when charging.

I'm not sure where I should add the capicator. Should I hook it up to the deepcell battery itself (it's made to hook up to the 12v system parallel with the battery), or if I should hook it up after the selector switch to possibly help with stabilizing the van circut too when driving (to make things easier on the van alternator).

I think it should work either way, but any help toward pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
My experience with RV electrical systems is that the power converter that charges the battery is not filtered at all. I had installed a good receiver/tape player and when the AC power was connected the radio had a very bad hum. My solution was a direct connection of both the radio power wires, positive and negative, directly to the battery terminals. I also suggest connecting the CB radio to the vehicle battery rather than the deep cycle battery, likewise the backup camera. And, why do you need a back-up camera while the vehicle is connected to plug-in power while you are parked?

B_G

Joined Nov 11, 2019
My experience with RV electrical systems is that the power converter that charges the battery is not filtered at all. I had installed a good receiver/tape player and when the AC power was connected the radio had a very bad hum. My solution was a direct connection of both the radio power wires, positive and negative, directly to the battery terminals. I also suggest connecting the CB radio to the vehicle battery rather than the deep cycle battery, likewise the backup camera. And, why do you need a back-up camera while the vehicle is connected to plug-in power while you are parked?
Well, the camera system is a 4x channel DVR with a camera watching each side. I have a 110v monitor in the kitchenette and a 5" 12v monitor in the cockpit. My wife has a CB in the car, and we do end up using the CB when parked somtime too.

I agree that the RV charger puts out an uncleaned signal, and I do think running a direct connection to the deep cell is a great idea! I'll try that in the next week or so, and see if that won't fix the problem.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Well, the camera system is a 4x channel DVR with a camera watching each side. I have a 110v monitor in the kitchenette and a 5" 12v monitor in the cockpit. My wife has a CB in the car, and we do end up using the CB when parked somtime too.

I agree that the RV charger puts out an uncleaned signal, and I do think running a direct connection to the deep cell is a great idea! I'll try that in the next week or so, and see if that won't fix the problem.
To keep the deep cell battery charged while you are under way you could use a diode and some resistor off of the accessory feed from the vehicle battery system. You might not even need the resistor to limit the current. You do need the diode to avoid draining the starter battery while parked.