Russian voltage multiplier stacking

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Are there no modern day versions of these multipliers to buy? I see almost none and the few available seem to be low power.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-VOLTAGE-MULTIPLIER-RUSSIAN-UN9-27-1-3-HOCHSPANNUNGSKASKADE-/283798326801?nma=true&si=jHSZJlPV3MzB1jJo%2FgMFSZ%2B7XpI%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

15-20KV caps should not be too expensive, maybe it would be cheaper to build from scratch.
What would the market for them be? High Energy Physics Labs? I don't think the funding levels are there for much in the way of high voltage equipment. If you need one you can try to make one, but I don't think your impression of high voltage capacitors is on the mark either. They kinda went away along with vacuum tubes and CRT displays.

EDIT: There is one application that might provide a market and that is electrostatic automotive paint spray booths. This might just give you a shot at HV capacitors at a high, but not unreasonable cost. Let us know what you find.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What would the market for them be? High Energy Physics Labs? I don't think the funding levels are there for much in the way of high voltage equipment. If you need one you can try to make one, but I don't think your impression of high voltage capacitors is on the mark either. They kinda went away along with vacuum tubes and CRT displays.

EDIT: There is one application that might provide a market and that is electrostatic automotive paint spray booths. This might just give you a shot at HV capacitors at a high, but not unreasonable cost. Let us know what you find.
There was a thread about paint sprayer HV supplies just a few weeks ago. And brand names were mentioned.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Are there no modern day versions of these multipliers to buy? I see almost none and the few available seem to be low power.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-VOLTAGE-MULTIPLIER-RUSSIAN-UN9-27-1-3-HOCHSPANNUNGSKASKADE-/283798326801?nma=true&si=jHSZJlPV3MzB1jJo%2FgMFSZ%2B7XpI%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

15-20KV caps should not be too expensive, maybe it would be cheaper to build from scratch.
Sure but most are too expensive for hobby use.
https://www.advancedenergy.com/products/high-voltage-power-supplies/

Nikša

Joined Mar 26, 2018
Not

Yea, strangely, they don't have widespread use.

Last edited:

Nikša

Joined Mar 26, 2018
I'm aware of those, i don't even count them cause they are as you said too expensive.

I meant modern versions of those russian tv multipliers. I guess there is no other option but use those old ones or build from scratch with not so cheap components, or maybe the low power chinese ones for air ionizers and put them in parallel for more current but they are usually rated for like 5KV which is too low.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I'm aware of those, i don't even count them cause they are as you said too expensive.

I meant modern versions of those russian tv multipliers. I guess there is no other option but use those old ones or build from scratch with not so cheap components, or maybe the low power chinese ones for air ionizers and put them in parallel for more current but they are usually rated for like 5KV which is too low.
Expensive but reliable. This 10kW 100kV driver unit is undergoing inspection after almost 20 years of 24/7 duty. The main reason is to source obsolete IGBT and snubber diode modules for future repairs. The unit was pulled after the fan stopped running after 20 years.

Nikša

Joined Mar 26, 2018
I am now looking at it again and it still makes zero sense why russians flipped the second multiplier.

It must be because their multipliers are missing the first cap according to their diagram. Otherwise, it is nonsense.

Look at two 3 stage multipliers next to each other (with first cap as should be).

The proper way is is to just continue the cascade, not flip the second one.

This is not resolved yet.
1.jpg

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I am now looking at it again and it still makes zero sense why russians flipped the second multiplier.

It must be because their multipliers are missing the first cap according to their diagram. Otherwise, it is nonsense.

Look at two 3 stage multipliers next to each other (with first cap as should be).

The proper way is is to just continue the cascade, not flip the second one.

This is not resolved yet.
View attachment 206320
Maybe it's just a mistake in the diagram?

Nikša

Joined Mar 26, 2018
Found it, apparently it's not a mistake, there is no first cap.

First comment says "this is a diagram of a converted tripler with a jumper, that is, a doubler. "

3rd stage is altered here for some reason but it is supposed to be a trippler by default.

https://pro-radio.ru/technology/2203-2
42168.gif

Last edited:

Nikša

Joined Mar 26, 2018
That design is fairly standard when multiplier modules are stacked to generate X max voltage..

Which design, flipping every other one? Do those multipliers have first cap? You did not say anything.

Can you reply to my post #28. You see proper way is just to continue the cascade, so WHY flip them?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Which design, flipping every other one? Do those multipliers have first cap? You did not say anything.

Can you reply to my post #28. You see proper way is just to continue the cascade, so WHY flip them?
Your flip modules are obviously a way to save money (They are Russian right?). The end result will be much the same.

Nikša

Joined Mar 26, 2018
Your flip modules are obviously a way to save money (They are Russian right?). The end result will be much the same.
Again it's not clear what you're saying. First you say "That design is fairly standard" presumably referring to flipped russian design and now you imply the opposite "to save money" aka not standard.

The only answer that makes sense is as i said that they flipped it because there is no first cap. With first cap one just needs to continue the cascade (as shown in post 28). There is no reason why second one should be flipped.

As David explains top of multiplier is pulsed DC and bottom is steady DC .

So, when you stack multipliers like this input on the next one is pulsating only on one terminal, other is steady DC and since second one is flipped now it's getting pulsed DC on what would normally be it's bottom side and DC on the top side. But clearly it doesn't matter as long as one side is pulsing.

Last edited: