Rum (or brandy) and water - Pickwick's times

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I recently finished reading The Pickwick Papers by Ch. Dickens.

I noticed that most of the characters there, find any opportunity good to have rum (or brandy) and water. This last seems to be preferred warm (!!) or eventually cold.

I have very limited experience in drinking (wines, eventually whiskey and little else) thus my questions.

Whatever those rum / brandy are, is it a must mixing them with water? What could be the reasonable proportion? Why warm water?

Are those habits common nowadays?

I also noticed the huge variety mentioned throughout the novel.

Since I do not intend becoming an expert, brief answers are more than enough and highly appreciated. BTW, if you suggest Google, I am aware of it (my cousin works there). Sent a letter to him already.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
1) Drinking cold drinks suppresses the flavor. Cold beer is great because it has no taste. Room temp beer is a great way to actually get all of the flavors (less likely because in the early and mid-1800s, the quality of distillation and storage was not as refined and realized many, many improvements since.

2) in the times of Dickens, in major cities, had cholera outbreaks that killed hundreds to thousands (even 10s of thousands). There were thoughts that the disease was "in the air" and some correlated that alcoholics were less susceptible. The practice of a "cholera brandy" became common. They had no idea of "germs"(fungus/bacteria/virus) in those days but it appeared to help. Not clear if it was sanitizing the water or if it was churning up stomach acids that also kill cholera (likely both).
One of many London Cholera outbreaks
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1854_Broad_Street_cholera_outbreak

An interesting article about cholera
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2996527/?report=reader

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
At one time sailors were rationed a half pint of ~55 Proof rum daily. Because of drunkenness it was later reduced to a 1:4 ration or on rare occasions when the captain was in a jolly mood a double ration. 1 part rum to 4 parts water along with limes for scurvy prevention. It made slimy and algae filled water more palatable. For several years now it has been abolished. Nope, there was no ice or little umbrellas available so they drank it at ambient temps. Hot "toddies" were made by heating the poker in the fireplace and sticking it into the mug of watered spirits to warm it and ward off the chill of winter.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
1) Drinking cold drinks suppresses the flavor. Cold beer is great because it has no taste. Room temp beer is a great way to actually get all of the flavors (less likely because in the early and mid-1800s, the quality of distillation and storage was not as refined and realized many, many improvements since.
There was always the saying that the British drank warm beer, It probably appeared 'warm' to the average American etc, The beer I drank in my English Pub, was traditionally draw up from the cellar, so it depended on the just how much the cellar stayed cool! :oops:
And of course the IPA was developed because of the effect of temperature!!