Ruhmkorff coil design

Man10

Joined Jul 31, 2018
20210327_193930.jpg

Here is a schematic of the circuit I built. The circuit consist of a primary coil, secondary coil, iron core, 2 lithium ion cells connected together, forming a battery, and a multimeter to measure current. I think the battery sometimes gets hot. Should i put a resistor between the battery and primary coil?

Last edited by a moderator:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
(Releates to a kind of spark coil)

Yes or use a longer and smaller piece of wire to raise the resistance of the primary.

You can also reduce the voltage.

It might be good idea to place a normally open button in series so you can charge a quick tap of the button.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Your circuit does not show an interrupter contact set on the primary. You will not get any output from the secondary with a steady DC current through the primary.

Les.

Man10

Joined Jul 31, 2018
Actually I did build an interrupter. The interrupter consist of a paper clip, glued to an aluminum strip, the aluminum strip is connected to 1 terminal of a battery, When I connect the battery, current flows through a primary, generating a magnetic field, which pulls the paper clip upwards, the aluminum strip is on a second aluminum, so primary current flows through, first 1st aluminum strip, then through 2nd aluminum strip, then through the primary coil, the second aluminum strip is connected to the primary coil, and 1 end of the primary is connected to 1 terminal of the battery. The 1st aluminum strip is connected to the negative terminal of the battery and the primary coil is connected to the positive terminal of the battery. So when the magnetic field pulls the paperclip up, it moves the 1st aluminum strip up, interrupting current flow through the primary.

I am not sure how to draw an interrupter in a schematic. I will look it up on the internet.

I already read that wikipedia on ruhmkorff coil on the internet.

I have already tested the interrupter a lot, the magnetic field does pull the paperclip upwards against the force of gravity.

(Releates to a kind of spark coil)

Yes or use a longer and smaller piece of wire to raise the resistance of the primary.

You can also reduce the voltage.

It might be good idea to place a normally open button in series so you can charge a quick tap of the button.
You still have not told me why use a resistor?

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Dont forget it must be resonant with leak inductance and leak capacitance. Thus the geometry of a coil makes ultimate difference on the power consumption.