RJ45 port type

tobs

Joined May 12, 2020
Product: Pavilion 15-au146ng
Hello guys,

one pin of my rj45 port of my HP Pavilion 15-au146ng is broken off.
Now i search for the port in the web to replace it by soldering. But i cannot find the correct type. Maybe someone of you knows where to search or even got a link for me to the product.
My first idea was to migrate one of an old HP 650, but clearly both ports differ in their shape.20210411_101028.jpg

Thanks and greetings,
Tobi

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
That connector looks very custom and without a direct replacement part number I would be inclined to try to repair it.

The connected part of the broken contact is intact. I would scavenge a contact from a different jack and solder it to the remaining part, probably with silver bearing solder (62/2/36). You would need to depress the existing pin into the connector housing for clearance (possibly with careful application of heat and pressure). You would need a very good soldering station with an exceedingly small tip installed. Liberal no-clean flux would help (clean it up in spite of the name).

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It looks like the contact half of a RJ45 connector.
The other half is created by the laptop housing.
It can well be the part is an OEM product.

Bertus

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Okay, thank you both!
It is difficult, but i will try, when i've got time.
It will be very touchy and you'll have to be careful of melting the housing. I have done it in the past, though, with a different connector but very similar. You can't make it worse than not working!

Take your time and plan carefully. Make sure you have plenty of light, and use a magnifier if you have one.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Scavenging a whole connector on a dead MB is also another option.
I checked eBay for a replacement IO board. There were other HP models but not this one. The IO board is a separate part and theoretically can be replaced as a unit.

The unusual mounting and the use of the case as the latch for the connector make substitution very difficult. My second try would be to modify the case and use a more conventional connector.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Most RJ45 socket seem to have the latch side on the PCB side so the pin out sequence of these would be wrong. I did find some with the latch side away from the PCB. This is one example.
Some more suggestions. There are probably only 4 of the 8 pins used so you could possibly bridge the broken pin to an unused pin and make up a non standard cable to use this pin.
You could buy a USB to ethernet adapter.

Les.