Ribbon Cable and Printed Circuit Connection

dporay

Joined Oct 10, 2015
In the attached drawing the ribbon cable going to the display has been disconnected from the printed circuit traces. There is no evidence of solder which has secured the cable to the traces. The only evidence of an electrical connection between the cable and the traces is a black carbon-like film on the end of the cable. How is the cable secured to the pc traces?

Digital Multimeter.jpg

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Your photograph is out of focus and difficult to see clearly.
LCDs are often manufactured on glass and use a carbon film connector called zebra elastomeric connector.
Physical pressure is what holds the connection in place.

1659127318641.png

1659127456554.png

dporay

Joined Oct 10, 2015
Your photograph is out of focus and difficult to see clearly.
LCDs are often manufactured on glass and use a carbon film connector called zebra elastomeric connector.
Physical pressure is what holds the connection in place.

View attachment 272529

View attachment 272530
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the unclear picture. Can a new coating of the carbon film be applied since the existing film has no more adhesion properties? If so, where can this coating be obtained?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
ZEBRA elastomeric connectors require no adhesive. It is kept in place by sandwiching it in between the LCD and PCB.
Search for ZEBRA elastomeric connector.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You have not said if your connection uses the zebra type connection. You need to get someone with a better camera to take some pictures of your connection. Another guess is that it may be a monosotropic type of bonded connection. This uses heat and pressure to make the bond.
This is some information I found on the process.
Screen Shot 01-02-16 at 01.04 PM.jpg
This shows the connection that I repaired on a central heating thermostat.
IMG_1730.JPG
There is some more information about how I carried out the repair here.
http://lesjhobbies.weebly.com/repairing-honeywell-cm901-display-fault.html

Les.

dporay

Joined Oct 10, 2015
You have not said if your connection uses the zebra type connection. You need to get someone with a better camera to take some pictures of your connection. Another guess is that it may be a monosotropic type of bonded connection. This uses heat and pressure to make the bond.
This is some information I found on the process.
View attachment 272565
This shows the connection that I repaired on a central heating thermostat.
View attachment 272566
There is some more information about how I carried out the repair here.
http://lesjhobbies.weebly.com/repairing-honeywell-cm901-display-fault.html

Les.
This looks interesting. I will go to the link you supplied for more information.