RGB LED Mixer Help

Jacob Thomas

Joined Aug 3, 2015
Hi! I have been looking to make an RGB LED Mixer circuit for a few days now. Everything I have found all has to do with a Microcontroller, which I cant understand. I dont want certain modes, or to have patterns, and all those projects had was the same mixer. Why do you need a micrcontroller to regulate the voltage going to 3 pins on an LED? Well I broke into my happy dance when I found this: http://www.instructables.com/id/RGB-Led-Color-Mixer/ . Finally, just circuitry, resistors, and wires. Something simple. Well, the only problem was that I have no clue how to do those schematics. I need schematics that look a little more like this: http://zeva.com.au/Tech/Circuits/simple.jpg , except, with this project. Also, whoever could redo this schematic simpler, could you also make two more implementations? A 9V Battery clip and the mods needed to work with that, and no Breadboard. I just want the wires. I am going to be putting this in something like an Altoids Tin. I had 3 paragraphs typed out on this, but when finishing I went to hit Shift+A. Since they were so close, my fingers naturally spread out more, hitting Ctrl+A. Anyone who knows a thing or two about Windows, that is Select All, and with my Fast typing mentality, making a mistake, I quickly hit Delete, erasing half an hour of typing. So sorry if this isn`t as detailed, I am ready to punch my computer at the moment. This may be surprising, but I am 13. To anyone who can just put this cirucitry into a simpler diagram, Thank You very much.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
ctrl+z = undo :)

Time to learn to read a schematic.. Its EXACTLY the same as your "simple" diagram.. its just individual chips/IC's instead of off the shelf "components"
And you aren't going to be doing it without a breadboard either.. Well you could I suppose but its SO much easier to have a breadboard to hold the components.

In fact it would be a good learning experience if YOU actually tried to make the "simple" diagram from the schematic. Even though its about as simple as it can get now..

Why don't you give it a try and shows us what you've done and we can help you out along the way.. That way you actually learn something.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi! I have been looking to make an RGB LED Mixer circuit for a few days now. Everything I have found all has to do with a Microcontroller, which I cant understand. I dont want certain modes, or to have patterns, and all those projects had was the same mixer. Why do you need a micrcontroller to regulate the voltage going to 3 pins on an LED? Well I broke into my happy dance when I found this: http://www.instructables.com/id/RGB-Led-Color-Mixer/ . Finally, just circuitry, resistors, and wires. Something simple. Well, the only problem was that I have no clue how to do those schematics. I need schematics that look a little more like this: http://zeva.com.au/Tech/Circuits/simple.jpg , except, with this project. Also, whoever could redo this schematic simpler, could you also make two more implementations? A 9V Battery clip and the mods needed to work with that, and no Breadboard. I just want the wires. I am going to be putting this in something like an Altoids Tin. I had 3 paragraphs typed out on this, but when finishing I went to hit Shift+A. Since they were so close, my fingers naturally spread out more, hitting Ctrl+A. Anyone who knows a thing or two about Windows, that is Select All, and with my Fast typing mentality, making a mistake, I quickly hit Delete, erasing half an hour of typing. So sorry if this isn`t as detailed, I am ready to punch my computer at the moment. This may be surprising, but I am 13. To anyone who can just put this cirucitry into a simpler diagram, Thank You very much.
You can get RGB colour changing LEDs that slowly fade in and out between the 3 colours.

I got one out of an unwanted solar garden light - I used it for the PWR LED in my PC just because it looks good.

They need about 4V - the front panel LED is fed 5V via a current limiting resistor, it just happened to work OK in place of the original LED.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
You can undo with CTRL-Z

Theres no way around using a controller when you want to have a certain color, or light up a row of these LEDs.

Im working on a 12-LED circuit using 18f25j10 controller

You dont normally regulate the voltage you turn on/off the LEDs very quickly, with patterns too, so it looks like the brightness is changing.

And thats only possible with a software script.

Actally its quite complicated, since you want to change brightness, color tone, and have a moving pattern too, like a police light, or something totally different.

With a controller you can multiplex too, or you'd have 48 wires for 12 LEDs already not to speak large circuitry. Only one color is actually ON at any time, adding another layer of complexity.

Attachments

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
ctrl+z = undo :)

Time to learn to read a schematic.. Its EXACTLY the same as your "simple" diagram.. its just individual chips/IC's instead of off the shelf "components"
And you aren't going to be doing it without a breadboard either.. Well you could I suppose but its SO much easier to have a breadboard to hold the components.

In fact it would be a good learning experience if YOU actually tried to make the "simple" diagram from the schematic. Even though its about as simple as it can get now..

Why don't you give it a try and shows us what you've done and we can help you out along the way.. That way you actually learn something.
+1
The schematic looks like exactly the circuit you need for what you've described, and there's not a substantially better or clearer way to draw it, so this is a great opportunity for learning how to read schematics.

Jacob Thomas

Joined Aug 3, 2015
I dont want a controller circuit to fade between colors, and I really dont have time to learn reading this. I want the three knobs just to play with mixing the colors and whatnot. I am not using this as a controller either, literally just as it is for a toy when I get it mounted in an altoids tin. Thanks for the Ctrl + Z, I forgot about that. Also, thanks for the quick replies! I just dont think I could really use that schematic to build something...

Jacob Thomas

Joined Aug 3, 2015
I`m gonna see if I could convert that to more of a picture diagram, and others could tell me if I did it correctly, then I will proceed to make it.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Just looked at it again. No way.
Then, I think you're <colloquiasm>. If you can't translate the schematic to a pictorial, is it too much to expect that you could translate a pictorial to actual components?

IMHO, you need to spend the time learning. I know you say you don't have the time, but then you don't have a working circuit either, do you?