RF Amplifier Query

greenelephant150

Joined Apr 18, 2020
Hi everyone

I have a RF Long wave transmitter (broadcasts only to 10ft diamater). However there are no rf amplifier products available on the market to purchase. Does anyone know where I can get schematics to build one? (I know what transformers, diodes, transistors, capacitors, and resistors are and what each conponent does but I dont have the technical knowledge in electronic engineering to know where each component goes) can anyone help?

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
RF amplifiers come in two different types. Do you want to amplify the output of your transmitter or the input to your receiver?
"10ft" most long wave transmitters I have seen have antennas longer than 10 feet.
What frequency are you calling Long Wave?
Please tell us more about your transmitter? and antenna?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I do not think it is likely that you will be able to obtain a licence to transmit on any frequencies in the long wave band. As you do not say which country you are in no one can say what the regulations are in your country. If you give more information about what you are trying to do then someone may be able to suggest an alternative approach.

Les.

greenelephant150

Joined Apr 18, 2020
I would need to amplify the output on my transmitter. The technical details of the rf transmitter can be found attached. The frequemcy range is variable between 180Mhz to 280Mhz. Feel free to ask me anything else

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You are three orders of magnitude in the wrong band.
LF is around 100kHz
180MHz to 280MHz is VHF.
You require a license to transmit.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

180 to 280 MHz will have some mobile frequencies in that range:

180-280 allocation.png

Either use an ISM - band or get a licence and go to an amateur band.

Bertus

Attachments

Last edited:

greenelephant150

Joined Apr 18, 2020
Sorry that was a typo mistake. I was meant to say 180Khz to 280Khz . Of course I know what I mean. The FM Range is 88Mhz to 108MHz, that is much higher than Longwave. It was a simple typo error.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

In the range from 180 to 280 kHz there are broadcasting and aeronautical communications:

180-280 kHz allocation.png

I would not attemp to transmit in that region. The FCC or your local radio control agency will catch you.
In holland the fine is about 1200 euro at the moment, if they catch you, also transmitter and all equipment connected to it will be taken.

Bertus

greenelephant150

Joined Apr 18, 2020
I do apologise for the misunderstanding and the lack of full communication. Obviously I am looking to conduct experiments on a low frequency range that isnt illegal. Would a range below (or perhaps above) the quoted range (180-280Khz) lie in the realms of legal radio? (I am prepared to go only down to 100Khz as I know below this frequency radio signals are very vulnerable to interferance). Thanks again everyone for your help

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I do apologise for the misunderstanding and the lack of full communication. Obviously I am looking to conduct experiments on a low frequency range that isnt illegal. Would a range below (or perhaps above) the quoted range (180-280Khz) lie in the realms of legal radio? (I am prepared to go only down to 100Khz as I know below this frequency radio signals are very vulnerable to interferance). Thanks again everyone for your help
I'm not convinced there is a place where your experiments would be legal. If you get caught you will get very little sympathy from the court. Nobody else that has been caught has gotten any.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
RF Cafe if you want to go rogue be careful. There are a lot of disgruntled Motorola RF engineers myself being one of them. Again be careful they're embedded with the FCC. In the USA of course and in orbit of course

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
OK thanks for the info anyways Delta Prime. Im intrigued to know why these motorola rf engineers support the FCC if they are so disgruntled?
They work for the FCC. That is the meaning of embedded!
My former partner once worked for Motorola, but he learned programming and took up a second career.

greenelephant150

Joined Apr 18, 2020
OK. Its just I thought engineers were paid good money, stable jobs, etc. It just struck me as unusual why these engineers would be so discontented yet stay with the organisation whether it be FCC or motorola. Talk about stockholm syndrome if you ask wondered what my opinion is on this! (at least on the surface of things)