Reversing a DC Motor with a DPDT Relay and DPDT switch

CKAranch

Joined Mar 17, 2019
I have a DC motor that is controlled by a DPDT control box which is a DPDT relay. The Relay Box is controlled with automation software( Z wave). I would like to add a manual DPDT switch to control the motor without having to use a smartphone or computer.I can't find what I think would a be a 3 way DC motor reversing circuit. Any circuit diagram suggestions?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If your motor is anything other than a tiny one, suddenly reversing it without allowing it to come to a stop can cause damage. A switch with a centre-off position is advisable.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There is also switches intended for motor reversal and have a couple of features, one is that it is impossible to go from F to R without stopping at centre off ( the toggle has to be released for further action), they also have a option of placing a resistor across the motor when at centre off.
They are used in KB DC motor controllers and can be obtained from them or any distrubutor.
Max.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
There is also switches intended for motor reversal and have a couple of features, one is that it is impossible to go from F to R without stopping at centre off ( the toggle has to be released for further action), they also have a option of placing a resistor across the motor when at centre off.
They are used in KB DC motor controllers and can be obtained from them or any distrubutor.
Max.
These are called "hesitation" switches, and are available from several manufacturers.

Deleted member 477987

Joined Dec 31, 1969
I recently ran into a similar situation. I had a double throw, double pole with no off in the middle. I used a notmally open push button switch. In this way I could set switch to "forward" and push button to actuate motor. In many ways this turned out to be better than a dpdt with an off position since it gives me more precise control of where my motor stops. My application was a self lifting ergonomic work bench made using the motors from a power passenger seat out of a dodge charger.

CKAranch

Joined Mar 17, 2019
While that arrangement does allow reversing, it also changes the meaning of forward and reverse for the software control.

This might be OK for the application but I am guessing it is an unwanted "feature".

@CKAranch can you modify the current controller?

Not sure it's a simple circuit board and I will attach the link below. I'm using the push button option at the end.I have a Z way dry contactor switch which will trigger it for the desired time. The motor that is being controlled has a rotation counter on if for each direction. It won't reverse just turn off.
http://www.electronics-salon.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53741

What voltage and current are involved?
The voltage of the motor being controlled is 24VDC I have a 12V DC power supply and a 24 V DC power supply to install in the control box. 12VDC for the control board and 24 for the motor. I did not know at the time they make a 24V version which I might change to in the future

If your motor is anything other than a tiny one, suddenly reversing it without allowing it to come to a stop can cause damage. A switch with a center-off position is advisable.
The motor will be in one direction at sunset and then go in the reverse direction at sunrise. The switch I want to manually control it with is a center off DPDT Leviton switch. The reason for the manual control is I can change this from blackout mode to rolling up the sides to cool when it gets hot and the blackout cover is not needed.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Why not just use optical sensors, one for evening one for morning, then place SPDT on either end or use Transistors in conjunction with the optics.

kv