Reversing a 12v actuator using dpdt relay and a joystick wobble switch 2no contacts

bergybob

Joined Dec 28, 2011
Hi, I have been helped on this site before with a chook house door opener.
This time i want to use a 12v actuator via a dpdt relay to steer my boat .I have drawn a diagram and would like imput on how close i am .Will it work ?
I have purchased a 2 position joystick wobble stick panel mounted 2 no centre off.A 12 volt actuator .and other sundry diodes and relay.
Can you please have a look at my diagram and tell me if i am on the right track.

Attachments

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Depending on exactly what the switches in the box marked 'Toggle Switch' do then it might,
if both diodes are reversed and if the 'Toggle Switch' can handle the full actuator current.

bergybob

Joined Dec 28, 2011
You aren't speaking my language with that drawing. Is this what you're trying to do?
Hi,Yes,from my limited knowledge of circuits your diagram does do what i am trying to do.
Hold the toggle switch forward and the actuator goes one way.Let the toggle go and it returns to centre and all movement ceases.Put the toggle back and the actuator runs in reverse.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Let the toggle go and it returns to centre
The circuit I drew does not provide a powered return to center. That would require a feedback function according to position.
If external forces return the actuator to center, that is OK, but the switches won't do it because they don't know where center is.

bergybob

Joined Dec 28, 2011
The circuit I drew does not provide a powered return to center. That would require a feedback function according to position.
If external forces return the actuator to center, that is OK, but the switches won't do it because they don't know where center is.
The toggle is spring loaded and returns to centre when pressure is removed,automatically.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The toggle is spring loaded and returns to centre when pressure is removed,automatically.
Yeah. I know how a joystick works. That's why I said, "actuator". The actuator won't return to center unless you power it or some external force returns it to center when you are not applying power.

bergybob

Joined Dec 28, 2011
Yeah. I know how a joystick works. That's why I said, "actuator". The actuator won't return to center unless you power it or some external force returns it to center when you are not applying power.
Ok sorry i read it wrong, the power for the return i would think would be to push the toggle to the other side and energise the reverse power to the actuator.