reversible motor with push button actuation and single power supply

calkirley

Joined Oct 2, 2011
Hi guys, this is my first time doing anything related to creating a circuit, aside from the eighth grade tech class, and I could really use your help. My plan is to make an electric shifter out of a drill motor connected to the shifter of a motorcycle that spins forward when a button is pushed and backwards when another button is pushed. I am trying to make them run using a single power source at 12 volts and a resistor to bring the voltage down to 9.6 volts that the drill ran on. When the buttons are not being pushed, the motor shouldn't be turning at all, and when they are the motor should turn. The thing is, I can't figure out how the wiring will look. If anyone can help me out, it would be awesome.

Thanks,
Cal

Last edited by a moderator:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Oh boy, here's another one... :p

Hi Cal.
I'm just posting to warn you that it is somewhat likely that a moderator will close this thread. The TOS states the following rules:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:

Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
Automotive modifications
Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
LEDs to mains
Phone jammers
Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
Transformer-less power supplies
It is quite possible that the mods would consider a motorcycle to be an automobile, so they might lock this thread. It has to do with safety, so I hope you understand. However, if the moderators don't mind, we'll continue from there.
Best regards,
Der Strom

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've brought this up for review as an automotive thread.

I'm not sure this is where the OP is going with this is why I didn't close it.

A drill motor isn't going to power a motorcycle, it would have problem giving assist with a bicycle. When I was in combat robotics EV motors were common. They have a little more omph (not much), and the application is pretty close in many ways.

calkirley

Joined Oct 2, 2011
I guess a title change is more difficult than I expected. So I'll put it like this. I just want a motor to turn forwards when a button is pushed and backwards when another is pushed while using a single power supply. No motorcycle relation at all :) the motor will NOT be used to power the motorcycle, just to turn the shaft for changing gears when the button is pushed

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Pick a title, I'll change it. I've had the same problem in the past (I've only been a moderator for 3 days).

calkirley

Joined Oct 2, 2011
Alright thanks Bill. If you could please change it to "reversible motor with push button actuation and single power supply" that would be terrific.

Sorry for the mistake,
Cal

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A mouthful, not the best. Short is better. When I was a kid they had bicycles with power assist, it was called chicken power. The only reason I allowed this thread is we allow golf carts, high power robotics, and other non automotive applications. Like I said earlier, a drill motor (even an expensive one) would have trouble powering a bicycle. Keep it legal!

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
That was interesting....
I went to the "new posts" link and saw this thread, and it claimed I had a post in it. I didn't recognize the title, so I was sort of going crazy, thinking I'd posted a comment on the wrong thread! :D

Good luck, Cal :)
Der Strom

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I am trying to make them run using a single power source at 12 volts and a resistor to bring the voltage down to 9.6 volts that the drill ran on.
By the way, a resistor does not work this way. If you tried to lower voltage using a resistor, you'd just fry it. A resistor is made to reduce current, not voltage. I suggest you try a high power adjustable voltage regulator instead.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, changing the title of the thread still doesn't change the fact that you want to use it to control the gear shifter on a motorcycle. It just means that you would like to "fly under the proverbial radar".

However, you've been painted, acquired, and my angle track is functioning five-by-five. :cool:

All joking aside, you really should not attempt this project. The stock shift lever is very reliable and strong. Attempting to change that to a drill motor will make the gear-changing system very unreliable; it will either not function reliably when you need it, or it may activate at inappropriate times which will cause you to lose control of the motorcycle.

Please abandon your idea.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Wook, I may be wrong, but I don't see any way this is going to be used in a motorcycle. I used to use care parts for experiments all the time.

To the OP, there are better ways, given that most drill motors are reversible as a standard feature.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hmm - wait a minute - are you wanting to use a shift lever that is removed from a motorcycle, to control the direction, and maybe the speed of a drill motor?

And not to use the drill motor to shift the gears in a motorcycle transmission?