Reverse Engineering an onboard charger PCB

eledson

Joined Jan 26, 2024
Hi all, the picture attached shows what people call a "waffle plate" which is found inside the Nissan Leaf's onboard charger. This part is known to fail and unfortunately very difficult to find a replacement for or repair. The PCB is potted with epoxy, which at this point is completely hardened and basically impossible to remove. Some people have x rayed the piece and have come up with schematics for the board. Attached is also the schematic. I can draw the schematic myself in KiCad, but there are a few things I don't know how to do. For instance, the bottom of the board has an aluminum plate(wiped clean in the picture), that is normally coated with thermal paste. I have no idea how this plate is attached to the PCB? on the top side of the you can also see some spacers(one in each corner and one in the middle) which seem to be pressed in? My questions are:

1. How is this aluminum plate attached to the PCB? Is it a normal manufacturing process that can be requested at the time of the PCB fabrication?
2. Does anyone know what type of pins are the ones sticking out of the epoxy on the top side? these pins are inserted and soldered into another PCB normally stacked above this one.

Attachments