Reverse Camera wiring

john2k

Joined Nov 14, 2019
I have a few different reverse cameras and they all have 4 core wires. Am I correct in believing that if it has 4 wires then 2 will be for the power and the other two will be the composite video? So technically if I can find the + and - power cables then I should be able to connect an RCA connector to the other 2 cables and have it playback via something that can playback composite video? Is there any way to find out which wires will be power related and which will be composite video? possibly by measuring resistance or something maybe?

john2k

Joined Nov 14, 2019
What if one of the cameras I have has a direct connector at the back and hence no wire. There are 4 pins, is there a way to figure out which two are power and which two are video by measuring resistance or something?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What if one of the cameras I have has a direct connector at the back and hence no wire. There are 4 pins, is there a way to figure out which two are power and which two are video by measuring resistance or something?
Get enough cameras to try all the possibilities, and throw away the ones you break.

john2k

Joined Nov 14, 2019
I opened one of the cameras and this particular one has 3 wires red, black and yellow. the 4th wire in the loom i think is a reverse trigger that goes back to the front to create a trigger to switch source. So i'm assuming red and black will be power and yellow will be + of the video so does the - of the video get shared from the black?