Results vary significantly because of inductor

testuserabcdef

Joined Jul 12, 2016
circuit.png

This is a generic class E amplifier I made with LTspice and I'm trying to get the perfect waveform at a reasonable voltage. I want to attach this to a real transmitter and be able to successfully transmit sound for at least a few hundred feet.

V2 here represents an ideal oscillator running at 400Mhz with 50% duty cycle. In the real circuit, V2 will be replaced with a basic FM transmitter and this circuit will be an extension to boost the signal.

V1 is a 5VDC regulated power source (from 7805 regulator)

The following are results I got when I used 25, 50, 100 and 200nH inductor and 50nH seemed to produce the greatest voltage, but is there some math I can use to calculate the perfect inductor because I don't want to constantly change values and hit the run button in LTspice.

circuit1.png

and for simulation, I put a checkmark to the following:

- Start external DC supply voltages at 0V
- Skip initial operating point solution

Then I made it capture data from .00000202 seconds to .00000205 seconds because I assume intial conditions will be unstable.

So how do I calculate the perfect inductor value? Source frequency right now is 400Mhz but I might change it to either 433Mhz or 466Mhz.

Attachments

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The peak is probably the resonance of the inductor with the capacitance of the transistor.
Also, from a couple of datasheets for the 2N3904 I found ft = 270MHz or gain bandwidth product = 300MHz so i can't see it being much use at 400MHz.

testuserabcdef

Joined Jul 12, 2016
The peak is probably the resonance of the inductor with the capacitance of the transistor.
Also, from a couple of datasheets for the 2N3904 I found ft = 270MHz or gain bandwidth product = 300MHz so i can't see it being much use at 400MHz.
True but LTspice doesn't come with the PN3563 transistor that I normally use for VHF, so I used 2n3904 here. How would I calculate the proper capacitance of the transistor here?