Resistors blowing due to short power spikes

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
What do you mean by AC, the input is 110Vdc and the output is 24Vdc. Also what is a through hole sub panel. My apologizes, I did try googling that first.
The life of an MOV might be slightly shorter on DC - but not by much.

A sub panel is a small PCB separate from the main one, makes it easy to do a one off through hole board without creating difficulties on the SMD assembly.

Its hard to believe this problem is insurmountable.

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
Hmm, 680 ohms? Why so high? If the running power of this circuit is 1.6 watts, it's similar to the cheap power supply here . That supply uses 1 ohm (that's right, one ohm) to limit inrush current. I'm not saying it's a wonderful design, but it doesn't have a problem with the resistor blowing.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What do you mean by AC, the input is 110Vdc and the output is 24Vdc. Also what is a through hole sub panel. My apologizes, I did try googling that first.
Parts can be designed to have one or more leads "go through" a plated hole in the PCB (Printed Circuit Board), or they can be designed to sit on the surface of a pair of pads. These parts are called either SMD (Surface Mount Device), or SMT (Surface MounT) parts. If you have to adapt a through hole part to an SMD board you can do that in all sorts of ways.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
If the power switch is off board, a radial through hole NTC surge limiter can be placed between it and the board. I've used Ametherm parts in some of my projects.