Resistance in an AC relay

smellySamsquanch

Joined May 9, 2018
No.
120Vac is RMS already, not peak voltage
Ahhh yes, yes it is.

I'm allowing myself to fall down the rabbit hole.

I wonder how they determined the power consumption for their datasheet. Im not saying its wrong, in fact i'm sure its correct, i just want to know how they got there (1.35VA). Is there any other route besides physically measuring it to get that number form what is provided? \

When this spec of 1.35VA is called out, is this referring to real power, reactive power, or something different all together?

If it is real power, then we should not be calculating current the way we "currently";) are for this, right?

Please excuse my persistent ignorance, my brain is getting mushy.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I wonder how they determined the power consumption for their datasheet. Im not saying its wrong, in fact i'm sure its correct, i just want to know how they got there (1.35VA). Is there any other route besides physically measuring it to get that number form what is provided?
If you don't know the relay inductance, then the only way to get the VA is to measure it.
When this spec of 1.35VA is called out, is this referring to real power, reactive power, or something different all together?
It is called "apparent power" since it is voltage times current, but doesn't include the power factor, so it's not real power.
If it were real power it would be given in watts (e.g. 1.35W).

Last edited:

smellySamsquanch

Joined May 9, 2018
If you don't know the relay inductance, then the only way to get the VA is to measure it.
It is called "apparent power" since it is voltage times current, but doesn't include the power factor, so it's not real power.
If it were real power it would be given in watts (e.g. 1.35W).
Thanks for the help! Glad i found this place to ask questions.

Thanks to everybody for helping me to understand.