Replacing cells with different brand/capacity? or double the cells?

Shannon Chin

Joined Mar 12, 2019
Hey guys, i have a samsung robot vacuum that the battery pack is showing sign of weakness after 2 years of frequent use. i can see i'd have to replace the battery in the future. i've cut open the box and there are 6x 18650 cells inside a 12-cell housing(6 slots were empty with battery tabs in place).

Now the cells in there were samsung cells of 2100mah, i am considering replacing them with Panasonic NCR18650B, which is 3400mah. however the battery pack comes with a logic board, controller. if i were to replace the cells with different brand and higher capacity will it work with the controller??

on top of that i noticed the battery housing is a 12-cell and only 6 is occupied. what will happen if i fill up all 12 slots with new battery??? i am gonna get MASSIVE capacity??? will the controller able to manage 12 cells of a higher capacity ? ? ?

please see below photos of the battery pack, empty slots in the housing are marked with red circle. thanks

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Have you looked for a service manual for your vacuum? It may not be easy to find but would be worth some effort.

Shannon Chin

Joined Mar 12, 2019
Have you looked for a service manual for your vacuum? It may not be easy to find but would be worth some effort.
nah, service manual will never tell u to use dremel to cut open a sealed battery pack. a new battery pack is $60+ but 6x Panasonic cells are only $50 so i thought i will cut out the old cells and weld new cells into the pack

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
nah, service manual will never tell u to use dremel to cut open a sealed battery pack. a new battery pack is $60+ but 6x Panasonic cells are only $50 so i thought i will cut out the old cells and weld new cells into the pack
The service manual, if it exists, might describe the function of the PCB, how to test it, etc. And the original purchase options, if that included a higher capacity pack.