Replacing battery with a switching power supply in exercise bike

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
Hello,

I have an exercise bike which has a 6V battery @1.2Ah. For some reason, I want to remove the battery system, and use the bike powered by the mains. I intend to use a 6V/2A wall adapter. I suppose that when a person is pedalling, the battery charges because the bike also has an alternator.
Let's say that I remove the battery and plug the adapter output into the battery socket? But, what about the voltage going to the battery, now going to the wall adapter when someone is pedalling?

Do I have to add a protection diode, or these wall adapters often include these protections?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Most adapters are switchmode types, these have output diodes in them, i'm a bit puzzled as to why you want to put an adapter on it when you can just peddle it for power?

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
Most adapters are switchmode types, these have output diodes in them, i'm a bit puzzled as to why you want to put an adapter on it when you can just peddle it for power?
Actually, the exercise bike console is kind of faulty. Once you stop pedalling, the console should shut down as not to discharge the battery. But instead, it keeps on. I tried to troubleshoot it with not success. The lower board is good, since I tried another console and it works well. This problem would eventually keep discharging any battery that I put. The only way to shut the console down is disconnecting the battery. That's why I decided to eliminate battery and just connect or disconnect a wall adapter.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Actually, the exercise bike console is kind of faulty. Once you stop pedalling, the console should shut down as not to discharge the battery. But instead, it keeps on. I tried to troubleshoot it with not success. The lower board is good, since I tried another console and it works well. This problem would eventually keep discharging any battery that I put. The only way to shut the console down is disconnecting the battery. That's why I decided to eliminate battery and just connect or disconnect a wall adapter.
Cheaper / simpler to just install an on/off switch between battery and rest of bike?