replacing a push button with motion activation

ataripirate

Joined Jul 27, 2010
I have a small monitor and it has 4 push buttons, each button will trigger a different video. I am wanting to replace the momentary button with a motion activated switch. I didn't know if something as simple as a photocell would work or what I needed to build to get this to work.

I am not sure if this is enough information, but I figured I would start here and I can add to it as needed.

any input is appreciated

thank you

Bobby

ataripirate

Joined Jul 27, 2010
I had looked at them, didn't know if I could wire it direct or if it had to be part of a larger project?

I have never used one, looks like it needs to be powered

Last edited:

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
you could use a pir or opto led with a CD4017 counter set to 4, this would scan the video channels each time the pir is activated,

or do you want to just put one detector per channel ?

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
I had looked at them, didn't know if I could wire it direct or if it had to be part of a larger project?

I have never used one, looks like it needs to be powered
Whatever you choose will require power (a photocell on its own won't, but it won't work either). A PIR that provides a volt-free relay contact output (e.g. a standard 12V security system device) or one that will drive a relay would work; wire the N/O relay contacts across the pushbutton terminals.

Last edited:

ataripirate

Joined Jul 27, 2010

Here's what I am working with - I didn't get the buttons, they wanted way too much to ship them, so I am making my own triggers, the buttons they show have lights in them, I am going to test the pins and see where the power is, not sure if I can use that or not. I will look into getting a PIR, it sounds like the way I need to go. the monitor has a small board attach via the wires that you can see on the right and it has a small motion sensor on it, each one of the sockets will switch to a different video, up to 6. I have been trying to get to support to see if they will give me the layout of the pins, but so far nothing. My thoughts were two for the button and two for the light in the button. Any and all input is appreciated.

thank you

Bobby