REPLACING A LEON-201 125V 1A WITH TWO SWITCHES (A TOGGLE SWITCH AND A MOMENTARY SWITCH)

TONY MARCH

Joined Aug 20, 2021
I have a desk mounted circular magnifying glass that is lit up by pressing a single switch.

The switch in question is a LEON-201 125V 1A.

This switch has become faulty and is beyond repair and I cannot source a replacement.

I have watched a video on You Tube where someone has suggested using two switches as follows:

• ON/OFF TOGGLE SWITCH 125V 3-6 A TO SWITCH THE POWER ON AND OFF
  • A MOMENTARY SWITCH TO IGNITE THE FLORESCENT TUBE
I have sourced the two switches but i am not sure how to wire the momentary switch.

I HAVE ATTACHED A DIAGRAM SHOWING HOW THE OLD SWITCH AND THE FLORESCENT TUBE ADAPTER WERE WIRED AND I HAVE ALSO SHOW THE REPLACEMENT TOGGLE SWITCH AND MOMENTARY SWITCH TERMINALS.
I WOUD APPRECIATE ANY HELP THAT YOU CAN GIVE A NOVICE.

MANY THANKS TONY MARCH

Attachments

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
You definitely DON'T want to be wiring the toggle switch between live and neutral!

Is your momentary switch a toggle or push button? Pictures would help.

Can you link the youtube video...

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Never mind, I found it....

Like this... But are you sure you have the momentary and toggle the right way round in your drawing? Toggle normally has 3 pins, push normally has 2..

1629568917885.png

TONY MARCH

Joined Aug 20, 2021
Thank you very much irving for your post.
I have attached some more pictures that may explain my predicament a little better.
basically i want to replace the old switch setup using the following. an on/off toggle switch, and a momentary switch wihich is normally off but can be switched on by pressing it in either direction to the on position and then releasing it back to its middle (off) position.

The top half of the diagram shows the old setup using the leon -201 switch and the florescent tube plug.
below i have the three components that require wiring up so as to make the florescent tube ignite.
ithink that the toggle switch is used to supply power to the lamp and when on the momentary switch is then switched to ignite the lamp. to turn the lamp off completely the toggle switch is switched to the off position.
i know that it all seems very basic to you professionals but i dont want to make a mistake and i think it is best to ask for advice if it is available.

As well as a new diagram i have also included pictures of the on/off toggle switch and the momentary switch.

i would be very grateful if you could help me with the wiring setup. i have included the original configuration which will be replaced with the setup that is shown below.
once again many thanks Irving.
OLD SWITCH SETUP AND NEW SETUP REPLACEMENT 3.jpg

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Like this

(btw Tony, please don't use capitals, its hard to read and is akin to shouting!)
switch.JPG

Last edited:

TONY MARCH

Joined Aug 20, 2021
Once again Irving many thanks for your assistance and I apologise for my use of capitals in my previous posts.
As you can see my electrical knowledge is somewhat limited. I am attempting to repair rather than replace my magnifying lamp.
I will attempt to run through your solution and if I am mistaken then perhaps you can correct me before I start.
I can see that you take a 240 volt live feed to the toggle switch, and the amber line out is the switched live that goes into the florescent tube adapter (top left). I can also see that you have taken a neutral feed to the florescent tube adapter (top right)
It looks like you have linked the two outside connections of the momentary switch (both on positions) and taken the line to the bottom right connection of the florescent tube connector. The middle connection of the momentary switch you have connected to the left hand side of the florescent tube adaptor.
The momentary switch that I have is middle position (OFF) and moving it either to the left or right turns to the (ON) position. This device is sprung loaded so that it returns to the off position (MIDDLE) once the switch is released.
If there are any mistakes in my analysis then I would be very grateful if you brought them to my attention.
Many Thanks Irving Tony March

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Hi Tony, that analysis is perfect, and you're welcome. You might, for your own satisfaction, verify it against the original circuit and the video. I joined the two outer terminals of the momentary switch together so it doesn't matter which way you press it. A push switch as in the video might have been preferable (and cheaper) but sometimes you just have to go with whatever you can source....

TONY MARCH

Joined Aug 20, 2021
Hi Tony, that analysis is perfect, and you're welcome. You might, for your own satisfaction, verify it against the original circuit and the video. I joined the two outer terminals of the momentary switch together so it doesn't matter which way you press it. A push switch as in the video might have been preferable (and cheaper) but sometimes you just have to go with whatever you can source....
Hi Irving, It will probably take me a few days to get some bits and pieces together and then I will test it out. I cannot mount everything on the case of the magnifying lamp so I am ordering a small project enclosure and mounting the two switches on it.
This will at least test the integrity of the circuit before I look for a permanent solution.
Once again many thanks for all of your help and I will let you know the outcome.
Many Thanks Tony March