Replacement of Constant Current LED Driver with Driver which has different Output Voltage Range

Golden_Orb

Joined Apr 2, 2019
I need to replace a failed Constant Current Dimming LED Driver for a 16W LED Downlight.

The existing failed driver has the following specs:
PRI: 240-250V, 50/60 Hz, 0.11A
SEC: 700mA / 18W, 9-24V

While I can purchase LED drivers with the same PRI spec and a SEC spec of 700mA / 18W, I cannot find a driver with a similar output voltage range. I can find drivers with an output voltage range of 15-29V.

Can I use the LED driver with the output voltage range of 15-29V to replace my existing driver with the output range of 9-24V and what difference(s) can I expect between the two?

Any help on this problem would be appreciated..

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
IF the specification information is correct then a 16 watt LED with a current of 700 mA must have about 23 volts across the LED (16 W / 0.7 A = 22.86 volts.) So providing the driver is designed to provide a constant 700 mA over it's voltage output range then it should work. So a 15-29 volt output 700 mA constant current driver is working near the centre of it's working range so it should work.

Les.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
You don't need to worry about the Voltage on a Constant Current source, it will automatically set itself...as long as the new psu gives out the same current. .

Golden_Orb

Joined Apr 2, 2019
Thanks LesJones and Dodgydave for your helpful advice. At least I now know that I'll be able to purchase replacement drivers for my LED lights.

Your help is much appreciated.