Replacement for 2SC2482 transistor?

spikespiegelbebop

Joined Nov 30, 2021
I need a replacement for a 2SC2482, since I couldn't find it anywhere in local stores for buying, I also couldn't find any equivalent (2N6713, 2SC2482 , 2SC2482‑O, 2SC2482‑Y , SC3207, 2STL2580, 3DG2482, BF393W1, BF393W2, BFP13, BFP14, CSC2482, CSCL2482, ECG399, KTC3207, S628T, SK9352, STC345L, STX0560 (code X0560), TSC873CT). Can anyone tell me which transistors I could use to replace this one? Like I said, they don't need to be equivalent, they can have higher voltage values, for example.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
It looks like a 2N5551 or 2N5401 is likely to work in place of the 2SC2482. Be sure to check the pin placement since their locations may be different.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I am sorry, I was confused about the voltage rating of those two.

Have a look at BF420 and MPSA42/KSP42 their rated power dissipations are a little lower than the 2SC2482, but will it make a difference?

spikespiegelbebop

Joined Nov 30, 2021
I'm just worried, but I've read here https://www.easytechjunkie.com/what-are-the-basics-of-transistor-substitution.htm the following:

Transistor substitution for amplification applications can be tricky. The replacement must have voltage, current and signal-to-noise ratios identical to the original. Additionally, different types of inputs can trigger different types of outputs in different transistors. All of these parameters must be identical for a substitute to function as well as the original transistor.
Since it's for the RGB in a CRT tv, I'm not sure if it should really those values as identical or not.

Denis6482

Joined Sep 20, 2022
Spike... I wonder if you are repairing a CRT monitor and one of the one of the RGB video output stages has failed? The replacement transistor will need a suitably high ft, frequency response. If this is what you're doing I may be able to help, I spent my entire career doing the same.

spikespiegelbebop

Joined Nov 30, 2021
ZTX458
Wattage: 0.10 watts higher
Voltage: 100v higher
Amp: 0.4A higher
TJ: 0.50 C higher

All the other aspects are the same. There's a slight difference, I might give it a try. I still need to check with the local stores though.

Question: having a higher voltage and Amps means that it will output more voltage and amps and that it's the maximum supported voltage and amps?

spikespiegelbebop

Joined Nov 30, 2021
Spike... I wonder if you are repairing a CRT monitor and one of the one of the RGB video output stages has failed? The replacement transistor will need a suitably high ft, frequency response. If this is what you're doing I may be able to help, I spent my entire career doing the same.
Sorry, I totally forgot to reply you. What happened was that I took a transistor from this tv to fix another one, but now I can't find a replacement anywhere locally. Yes your help would be greatly appreciated. I'm fixing this tv because its tube is almost brand new, even though it's a pretty old CRT TV, then after that I'll RGB MOD it for making an arcade for retrogaming. By the way, despite being too old, this TV's picture is gorgeous. The RGB MOD is via neckboard though, I saw a RGB In on the jungle chip, but since I couldn't 100% identify the blanking line (and I'm not sure if I have the right schematic too), I'm not going to risk rgb mod the jungle chip because the tv doesn't have a protection circuit. If you're interested in this project, please DM me.

Denis6482

Joined Sep 20, 2022
the suggested ZTX458 looks good on that recommended transistor.
Sorry, I totally forgot to reply you. What happened was that I took a transistor from this tv to fix another one, but now I can't find a replacement anywhere locally. Yes your help would be greatly appreciated. I'm fixing this tv because its tube is almost brand new, even though it's a pretty old CRT TV, then after that I'll RGB MOD it for making an arcade for retrogaming. By the way, despite being too old, this TV's picture is gorgeous. The RGB MOD is via neckboard though, I saw a RGB In on the jungle chip, but since I couldn't 100% identify the blanking line (and I'm not sure if I have the right schematic too), I'm not going to risk rgb mod the jungle chip because the tv doesn't have a protection circuit. If you're interested in this project, please DM me.
I found MJE13003 a good NPN replacement for video output stages. It's got generous ratings and in some cases (Wyse displays) I fitted a large washer as a heatsink. When fitting it as a substitute I found it's pinout, ECB, easy to remember when lining it up on a PCB that was drilled for a different transistor.

spikespiegelbebop

Joined Nov 30, 2021
the suggested ZTX458 looks good on that recommended transistor.
But I could only find the BF458...

I found MJE13003 a good NPN replacement for video output stages. It's got generous ratings and in some cases (Wyse displays) I fitted a large washer as a heatsink. When fitting it as a substitute I found it's pinout, ECB, easy to remember when lining it up on a PCB that was drilled for a different transistor.
I called them and they said they have the MJE13003, but now they're closed and I'll have to wait until Monday.
Are you sure the MJE13003 can replace the 2SC2482?

How about the 2N5551? I've just found a 2N5551 here.

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I think you will find the MJE13003 to be too slow for video.

The 2N5551 is a very nice transistor and plenty fast and is good for 160 VCEO. The Fairchild 2N5551 datasheet is attached to this post.

Attachments

spikespiegelbebop

Joined Nov 30, 2021
I think you will find the MJE13003 to be too slow for video.

The 2N5551 is a very nice transistor and plenty fast and is good for 160 VCEO. The Fairchild 2N5551 datasheet is attached to this post.
Should I really use the 2N5551? Because the original transistor has a maximum voltage value of 300v.

renemonte

Joined Oct 7, 2016
if you do not have an exact replacement,the next best thing to do is try the nearest replacement in hand. in this case, it is an easy three lead soldering job. why not try it? if it does not work, you can always remove it easely and try another one. just try to concentrate on voltage and current ratings. they should always be higher than the original part.