Replace 5K potentiometer

rabpete

Joined Nov 21, 2013
I'm looking to replace a 5K ohm linear potentiometer but can't find a supplier that has any of the style I require at a sensible price. They all are talking MOQ of 1000 when I only want a handful.

Is it possible to use a 10K one instead and somehow divide the output by 2 or go the other way and multiple a 1K by 5.

The part number I have is RV161S-30-012J-B53-00K which can be seen near the bottom of this web page http://www.islproducts.net/prod/pots/MoldedCaseSeries_16mm.htm

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Your approach is not the correct one.
If you can post a circuit schematic of your application we will be better able to help you.

rabpete

Joined Nov 21, 2013
Thank you for the reply.

I did suspect the approach was totally wrong. Unfortunately I know next to nothing about circuits and a schematic would be completely beyond my ability.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It depends so much on the circuit involved that a 10k might just work with no modifications. Or...the right method might be to place a 4.7 k in parallel with the pot.

What you can't do is multiply a smaller pot up to 5 thousand ohms.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I'm looking to replace a 5K ohm linear potentiometer but can't find a supplier that has any of the style I require at a sensible price. They all are talking MOQ of 1000 when I only want a handful.

Is it possible to use a 10K one instead and somehow divide the output by 2 or go the other way and multiple a 1K by 5.

The part number I have is RV161S-30-012J-B53-00K which can be seen near the bottom of this web page http://www.islproducts.net/prod/pots/MoldedCaseSeries_16mm.htm
Hopefully you're not confusing potentiometers with variable resistance - the potentiometer typically divides an input voltage with a ratio output dependant on the position of the wiper. If that is the case, the main issue will be the input resistance of whatever follows the pot.

If the next stage loads the wiper voltage too much, a voltage follower might do the trick.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Ok, here is a start. Can you post a photo showing where this pot is installed?
Both a narrow view and a wide view will give us some perspective.
Or tell us the make and model of the unit you are trying to repair.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Assuming it is connected as a potentiometer (not a rehostat), do you care about the linearity of voltage-out vs shaft position?