Repairing my Asus tuf 180w laptop adapter, it's suddenly stopped working

kdhruv

Joined Dec 18, 2023
Recently, i was playing game on my laptop and my original adapter rated 180w was connected as usual, suddenly I stopped working in between gaming, i first thought of it as faulty power cable or extension maybe damaged, but it was the adapter itself when I check voltage with the multimeter, it was showing about 0.2v instead of 20v rated, so I somehow managed to open adapter, ""I have shared the proper pic of adapter IMG_20231225_222748.jpgIMG_20231225_222730.jpgmotherboard"", I found that even dc cable was not fault, there is no output at the end of dc terminal on board. I have checked input high voltage portion of SMPS till MOSFET and it was working perfectly fine, but after that I am not able to check for the damage becoz of lack of my testing knowledge and complex circuit, can anyone guess what happened,it's really expensive adapter and I don't have any penny left to buy new one... Pls help...

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Go to any Computer-Repair-Shop and they'll probably give You 3 of them for free.
If they're really stingy, they may charge You ~$5.oo each.

"Thrift-Shops" like "Good-Will" are also a good place to look.

kdhruv

Joined Dec 18, 2023
Go to any Computer-Repair-Shop and they'll probably give You 3 of them for free.
If they're really stingy, they may charge You ~$5.oo each.

"Thrift-Shops" like "Good-Will" are also a good place to look.
Dude it's about $100, do you have any idea about this circuit?, it may help me...

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
With all that coating/glue/filler, it will be hard to figure out what goes where. I would suspect the switching transistor/IC/FET as the primary target of failure. This assumes the fuse (small brownish device) near the power connector is still good...