Repairing a charger by a Newbie!

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Did you see the polarity lines in the sides of the electrolytic capacitors?

You do not have a charger, instead you have a 5V USB power supply that can charge the battery in a phone that has an important 4.2V charging circuit in it. DO NOT directly connect an 18650 Li-Ion battery to 5V, it needs a charger circuit in between to prevent the battery from an explosion and fire.

Roxx.R

Joined Mar 14, 2023
Did you see the polarity lines in the sides of the electrolytic capacitors?

You do not have a charger, instead you have a 5V USB power supply that can charge the battery in a phone that has an important 4.2V charging circuit in it. DO NOT directly connect an 18650 Li-Ion battery to 5V, it needs a charger circuit in between to prevent the battery from an explosion and fire.
Yes, i checked the polarity and soldered the capacitors. This thread is all about repairing the 6 usb port charger and i will be using it only to charge phones and devices from those 6 usb output ports. Until now i have replaced the capacitor and its working but i will be adding another capacitor today and finish this project.

And as i am a newbie, i have to learn, check and verify things before i do it practically.. so i bought a multimeter while learning from YouTube videos, i mentioned about the 18650cells and multimeter earlier in this thread.. 18650cells and multimeter has nothing to do with this charger.. i have few 18650 cells and will be making a powerbank later.. its a separate thing.. i am learning about it too, for that i haven't decided which board to use..

i have many unfinished projects since years like magic mirror, computer parts, unknown circuit boards and cpu fans, half room is full of electronic stuff that doesn't work but due to lack of knowledge, time, money i have to keep it on hold or like paused..

Thanks Audioguru.

Roxx.R

Joined Mar 14, 2023
Finally i added second capacitor to it, so now the circuit has 2x Cap 10V 1000uF. The box doesn't close as it was before and also it doesn't look as i had expected by popping out the capacitor from a hole. Making a hole was boring actually. i have used a tape to close the box temporarily. I will use it and see if it gets heated again. May be i will create a wooden box and replace the plastic box later, mostly if it starts to heat up.
I checked, all 6 ports are working. The led light turns off 15seconds later after the power is turned off. This seems to be a long time and i think too much power remains in the capacitors. Anyways, finally this charger is repaired and i can say this small project is finished.

Do check the pictures i have attached, if i will replace the plastic box with a wooden box i will update here with pictures. I need a rotary tool to cut and shape the wooden box but its not available in local store as of now. That wooden box would be a nice thing, creative design and colour can be added on its surface.

Next project coming up is a low output charger to be modified to give higher output using a stepup circuit. That will be a separate thread. (i didn't knew anything and in just one day i have learnt about capacitors, booster circuit, TP4056 and some other stuff)

Thanks you all of you.. @Irving , @Jon Chandler , @Ya’akov , @twohats , @Audioguru again , it was great to share & talk about it. Thank you for your support.

Attachments

Last edited:

Roxx.R

Joined Mar 14, 2023
I can dig it.
Actually, i don't have the appropriate tools right now that is the reason. I have a drill machine but that is for walls and its heavy for this small plastic box, the hole i made was using soldering iron and then a paper cutting blade to give shape to the hole and remove the excess plastic from the box and also from the soldering iron..

I will need to buy a rotary tool, on which i can mount small circular cutting blade or a grinding stone and that will be helpful.

I prefer to buy from local shop so i can check and feel it before buying. Last option is to buy from Amazon online.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Glad it’s working. There is nothing problematic about the caps keeping the LED on for a few seconds. If there is a load it will be for much less time. The voltage across the caps is only ~5V, so you are fine.

Roxx.R

Joined Mar 14, 2023
I would have used two smaller 680uF capacitors and heated the bulge in the case and pressed it flat.
When i opened the case, it had only C6 which was damaged and i didn't realised that there is the circuit diagram with the mark C7 and it was missing untill @twohats and @Ya’akov mentioned it.

Next time, i will take care, i will first observe the circuit properly and try to find such possible solutions. Thank you for the idea.

Roxx.R

Joined Mar 14, 2023
UPDATE: its working but gets too much hot. But this time the capacitor side gets less hot than the other side. I mean the back of the circuit it gets really hot and the capacitor side is less hot...

I am not thinking to make any changes now. I will check for few days by charging different devices, charging duration and see how hot it gets and if i can find out what component gets hot.