Remove the gps from a cell phone

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
What does the GPS have to do with anything? ¿?
Are you trying to stay off grid ??
Phone tracking works with many phone towers and they triangle you location by signal strength and direction compared to the other towers.. You can stay hidden through not so legal ways and its a lot of work to maintain it..... Do not use a GPS jammer.. They will fine you and lock you up ...

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
What does the GPS have to do with anything? ¿?
Are you trying to stay off grid ??
Phone tracking works with many phone towers and they triangle you location by signal strength and direction compared to the other towers.. You can stay hidden through not so legal ways and its a lot of work to maintain it..... Do not use a GPS jammer.. They will fine you and lock you up ...
None of which has any bearing on REUSING the GPS.

I doubt a cellphone is a good source for a module since it would probably be embedded with the rest of the (undocumented) circuitry.

I have found complete and easily removeable GPS units inside a car GPS unit. They have a bit more room and are very price driven (and lack a service provider to pick up some of the cost). Ones I've taken apart have a separate board with a complete module attached, with a connecting cable. Aside from the very small connectors it should be easily reuseable (which is why I have some in my parts bin).

Otherwise you can buy complete modules. Sparkfun.com had some last time I looked.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Is it possible to remove the gps from any cell phone and reuse it ?
Any cellphone? No. Older ones may not have GPS capability (such as iPhones prior to 3G). Newer phones may have the GPS built into a larger IC (combo wifi, cell radio, GPS for instance). A subset of phones will have discreet GPS-on-a-chip ICs such as this one.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm using a SiRFstar III (20 channel)-based GPS puck that has bluetooth connectivity and a 15-hour rechargeable battery with charger, all for <$15. Why pay more?

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
The chances of being able to remove it without damaging it are very low- then once it's out, figuring out how to make it work will be very difficult.
Buy a GPS module, it's going to be a nightmare otherwise.