Remote momentary switch

markmanningnz

Joined Oct 24, 2023
Hi all, first post here and looking for some advice, inspiration please!

With Halloween fast approaching, I have purchased an animated, hanging skeleton which shakes and makes some scary sounds when a small, direct connected momentary push button switch is pushed. My hope is that I can swap this switch out for an RF remote control switch, so when the local kids visit the house for trick or treat, I can push a button and the skeleton will "come to life". The switch itself has only two wires going to it, and the entire skeleton is powered by 3x AA batteries.

In a perfect world, I would hook this up to some kind of motion sensor which will activate when someone approaches the front door, but that sounds like more work (maybe it's not?).

I've attached some pictures of the little switch which currently operates the skeleton...any advice or assistance greatly appreciated :)

Kind regards,
Mark

Attachments

markmanningnz

Joined Oct 24, 2023
Thank you, Les. Really appreciate the response! I have an additional question please if that's OK, as I'm struggling to visualise how that 4x channel switch would be wired up...

Power the receiver I understand. Just any old low current, 12v DC adapter that I have lying around should do the job I assume.

The current switch doesn't require being held down, and a single momentary push is all that is required to start the animation. This being the case, could you help me understand how the RF receiver would be wired to replace the current push button switch please? I assume the current push button switch is simply switching a live feed from within the skeleton somewhere. Thanks again in advance for your help!

Mark

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

FIrst, I what you want to do is very simple with a little information, so don't worry about that part.

Second, you can get single channel remotes as easily as four channel versions. They are almost all designed to allow for the choice between on/off and momentary, so it's just a configuration option.

If the motion sensor is the perfect thing, you can also get one cheap and easy. The question is, what happens when you press the button while the display is going on? Does it retrigger or ignore it?

Something like this one:

1698146965822.png
and a 5V relay would be all that is required. Note that this version has no ambient light sensor which is important if you don't want this to only work when it is dark. I surmise you are in the UK, so you would have to check what is offered there, but this is the idea. If you want to pursue it, there is certainly more help available.

markmanningnz

Joined Oct 24, 2023
Thanks for everyone's replies. I'm going to keep things simple to start with I think, and just go for a simpl single channel RF remote (will leave motion sensor for another day when I learn more about this stuff!).

So, looking at amazon, I found this which should work I think?

Assuming that will work, all I need to know is how to wire it up. Will the 2x wires that currently go to the push button, go to NO and COM on receiver? The 12v power supply to receiver will wire into 12v+ and 12v-.

Sorry for all the questions...newbie here, and trying to learn as much as I can about this!

Mark

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thanks for everyone's replies. I'm going to keep things simple to start with I think, and just go for a simpl single channel RF remote (will leave motion sensor for another day when I learn more about this stuff!).

So, looking at amazon, I found this which should work I think?

Assuming that will work, all I need to know is how to wire it up. Will the 2x wires that currently go to the push button, go to NO and COM on receiver? The 12v power supply to receiver will wire into 12v+ and 12v-.

Sorry for all the questions...newbie here, and trying to learn as much as I can about this!

Mark
That looks good.

1698154378047.png
No need for apologies, we are always happy to help—especially someone going to learn.

Enjoy the holiday, please do come back with more questions.

markmanningnz

Joined Oct 24, 2023
Thank you so, so much, Ya’akov!

That is incredibly helpful. I will have a go at getting this working - assuming it does, we will have a very happy 3 year daughter!

Thanks again. Enjoy the holiday also.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
As others have suggested there are single channel versions of these remote controls. The reason I suggested the 4 channel one is that I have one so I know that it can be configured the way you require it to work. Like you I only require momentry opperation. They can also be configured to toggle between on and off. The third mode (From memory.) is using it for just 2 channels. One pair of buttons is used for each channel with one being to switch the channel on the other one of the pair to turn the channel off.
To use either the single or 4 channel versions just connect the common and NO contact on a channel of the receiver in place of the push button on your toy, You will need to provide the receiver with a 12 volt DC supply. I think the receiver requires less than 100 mA. (I can measure how much current it actually takes for the unit I have if you need me to.)

Les.

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
I HATE IT when others beat me to the punch. Nevertheless:
1698167157761.png
You remove the switch (cut the wires) and connect them to COM and NO. With your remote set to activate only while holding the button you can activate the skeleton. Be sure to use the COM and NO, stands for Common and Normally Open. Don't use the NC terminal, Normally Closed. That would be like holding the button all night long and only releasing when you push the remote. But won't do anything because you need to be connected to the NO terminal.

You can use a 12 volt module but you might be able to find one that operates on 5VDC. If you find such you can power it from an old cell phone charger. They SHOULD have enough power to activate a 5 volt relay. Note: The relay or module voltage only refers to the voltage necessary for them to operate. They do not provide any power to the NC, COM or NO terminals. ALL the terminals do is act like a switch.

markmanningnz

Joined Oct 24, 2023
Thank you, Les and ThePanMan! This is incredibly helpful, and I am very grateful for you both and the others who have taken the time to provide this information.

Kind regards, and happy Halloween!

Mark