remote control of mains device

denison

Joined Oct 13, 2018
Hi All, I am using a MOC3023 random phase TRIAC optocoupler to phase control a 240vac mains load. I wish to make the load remote from the controller.
At the remote site you will have the optocoupler connected to the TRIAC and load. At the controller you have a 5v output being applied from a microcontroller program to give phase control if there was a wire connection to a optocoupler. But as the connection is going to be remote I want that 5v to be picked up at the remote site using a RF connection.
Can anybody give me a circuit for doing this? You will need a transmitter IC at the controller and a receiver IC at the remote site to pick up the 5v. A clamp to 0v when no 5v signal.
I am not good on RF circuits.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Could you please clarify if you intend to use phase control, or whether you just want to switch it on and off.

denison

Joined Oct 13, 2018
What is the maximum distance between the transmitter and receiver?
Probably 30 meters. Transmitter and receiver are both in my house yard. Easily within the range of a ghz transmitter.
I will be using phase control, not just a simple switching on and off. The timing of the 5v signal is determined by a atmega 328p
program. The RF connection should be totally hardware with no software involvement. The only software involvement is the generation of the 5v signal. This should be simpler than using software.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Then it's going to be quite involved. You will need to transmit a signal - say an 8-bit code representing the output level.
That can be done using one of many short range radio devices.
At the receiver, you will need a zero-crossing detector, which resets a timer, a timer to measure up to about 9ms after the zero crossing is detected, then a pulse to trigger the triac.
If you convert the 8-but "output level" data to analogue at the receiver, it is relatively easy to implement a timer for the trigger pulse; or it can be done with a small microcontroller.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
What is it you are trying to accomplish? Vary the brightness of some lighting? Vary the speed of a motor? Other?

And - you mention "5 V" a couple of times, but nothing about a variable signal. I get that you want to vary the power into something, but that means that at the control or transmitter end there is something creating a variable signal. What is that? Are you using a pot to vary a control voltage from 0 v to 5 V?

ak

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi All, I am using a MOC3023 random phase TRIAC optocoupler to phase control a 240vac mains load. I wish to make the load remote from the controller.
At the remote site you will have the optocoupler connected to the TRIAC and load. At the controller you have a 5v output being applied from a microcontroller program to give phase control if there was a wire connection to a optocoupler. But as the connection is going to be remote I want that 5v to be picked up at the remote site using a RF connection.
Can anybody give me a circuit for doing this? You will need a transmitter IC at the controller and a receiver IC at the remote site to pick up the 5v. A clamp to 0v when no 5v signal.
I am not good on RF circuits.
Unfortunately building such a circuit will almost certainly be in violation of your local regulations for transmitting equipment. Depending on where you are, there are very limited options for homebuilt transmitters and using things for remote control is a problem in itself.

Your best bet to purchase a module that is type accepted (or equivalent) in your locality and operates in a band where continuous remote control service is permitted. Inadvertent interference with other users of whatever band you choose is not really a triviality. At best your signal could prevent legitimate equipment from operating; at worst it could interfere with a system critical to safety.

I know it seems like it won‘t do ay harm to emit a few mW for your own purpose but in practice its a problem and if you are proposing to do something illegal it would be against AAC rules.

If, in your location, there is a way to do this legally that you can point out, I would be very pleased to change my position. It could be there is a service and operating band that I don’t know about. But this seems unlikely. Still I would love to be proven wrong in this case.

The good thing is such commercially produced modules are abundant so you can probably still do what you want if oyu use one.