Relay to switch mains

konstheo

Joined Dec 29, 2016
I am thinking of using this relay breakout

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162247557098?_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

to control a device that draws max current of 4 amps at 220V AC.

The relay module utilized in the aforementioned link is rated at 10amps so it appears that everything will be OK.

However, upon viewing the 4th (or 5th) picture at ebay -- which shows the breakout's behind, reading "Low level trigger" -- I am wondering if those PCB traces are really capable of 5 amps *mains* current (let alone 10 amps).

I am a beginner and apparently I wouldn't like to start a fire in my house, so any advice is appreciated.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It's the relay that will switch that large current, and those traces are both short and wide. I believe it would be OK. If you open similar devices, say a wall switch dimmer, you'd find similar things.

That said, proceed with caution. Provide clearance between the PCB and anything nearby. Consider a fuse on whatever is being switched. Make sure that kids and pets cannot near your enclosure.

konstheo

Joined Dec 29, 2016
It's the relay that will switch that large current, and those traces are both short and wide. I believe it would be OK. If you open similar devices, say a wall switch dimmer, you'd find similar things.

That said, proceed with caution. Provide clearance between the PCB and anything nearby. Consider a fuse on whatever is being switched. Make sure that kids and pets cannot near your enclosure.
Thanks @wayneh !

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If concerned, you could solder on a solid copper conductor from relay to terminals.
I have found this a common thing with Chinese boards.
Also the terminals they use are pretty flimsy.
Max.

konstheo

Joined Dec 29, 2016
If concerned, you could solder on a solid copper conductor from relay to terminals.
I have found this a common thing with Chinese boards.
Also the terminals they use are pretty flimsy.
Max.
Nice idea, I'll solder nice and thick 2.5mm^2 conductors (thickness of 2.5mm^2 is a typical regulation in home electrical installations in my country), thanks @MaxHeadRoom for the suggestion.