Relay mount documentation

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Can anyone tell me where is the mount documentation for this relay: 67.22-x500
https://www.findernet.com/en/unitedstates/products/families/9/series/67

I am going to use it to to switch a 25A load from 2 batteries in series (24V total voltage).
I want to mount it on a 35mm DIN rail or something else if possible. It will still be on the PCB, but the high current will not pass through the traces, instead there will be wires to the battery.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
I know this is the datasheet, but I did not see any mount methods there. Is it possible to mount it on a din rail, where to find if it is, where to find what kind of a din rail do I need?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Presumably you are making a custom mount for this PCCB mount relay to be mounted on DIN rail?
There are terminal manufacturers that make DIN rail mount for custom applications such as Weidmuller etc.
These have proto boards on them or you can make your own from Vero strip board.
DIN rail can be obtained from most local electrical suppliers.
The most common in use now is the U shape type.
upload_2018-4-9_9-46-5.jpeg
Max.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I know this is the datasheet, but I did not see any mount methods there. Is it possible to mount it on a din rail, where to find if it is, where to find what kind of a din rail do I need?
Thats 100% up to you...
This relay is not intended to be directly din rail mounted so there is no manufacturers documentation on that.. Its intended to be mounted on a circuit board.. Where you mount that circuit board after that is all up to you..

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Mounting it on a circuit board is bad, because I will be passing 25A through it. That is why I wanted to mount it on a din rail and connect the load with wires, while the coil is connected to the PCB.

If I understand correctly, when a relay is not intended to be din mounted, I need a second PCB on which I mount the relay and then mount the second PCB through a din rail on the first PCB? The problem of 25A through the tracks still persists though.

I am thinking of using the solid state relay in my other post, I hope its good enough and I can cool it.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Are you committed to that relay?
There are all kinds of Weidmuller DIN mount relay sockets units for wire termination.
I would be wary about using small PCT relays of that size to switch large currents, particular Leary of using that relay to switch 100AMPS as they claim if using the contacts in parallel.
Max.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Mounting it on a circuit board is bad, because I will be passing 25A through it. That is why I wanted to mount it on a din rail and connect the load with wires, while the coil is connected to the PCB.

If I understand correctly, when a relay is not intended to be din mounted, I need a second PCB on which I mount the relay and then mount the second PCB through a din rail on the first PCB? The problem of 25A through the tracks still persists though.
So what...... I design products that carry 100+Amps on circuit board tracks (traces) all the time.. They just need to be sized properly like anything else in this world..

A manufacturer is not going to make a PCB mount relay that can't be mounted on a PCB.. That would be silly..

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
I understand, however the sizing is not something I am very familiar with.

I will not be switching 100A, I will be switching 25A at best, maybe even 15A.

I am considering using FInder 66 series which might work?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Just a FYI.. Make sure you really check the rating of the relay to make sure its capable of switching your current/voltage.. Many relays that state 50A,etc... may not be capable of doing so at 24VDC... DC is harder on contacts due to its lack of a zero crossing point/always on attribute..

The finder specs are a little confusing but the 66 series seems to really only be rated to "break" (NO) at 25A@30V and its not rated to "make" any DC as far as I can tell..

You may need to step up into "contactor" land...

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The finder specs are a little confusing but the 66 series seems to really only be rated to "break" (NO) at 25A@30V and its not rated to "make" any DC as far as I can tell..
You may need to step up into "contactor" land...
Agreed, I have used the P&B power relays fitted with magnetic Arc Blow out, I have seen my share of 'Plasma' arcs from heavy DC being switched by AC resistance rated relays.
Max.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
The manufacturer told me the 66 series will be better for me, since I originally intended to use 67 but I asked can they be mounted on a din rail. Maybe they did not read my whole email and the current and voltage I need.