Relay help with power tv mount

Hornnumb2

Joined Jan 17, 2013
I have a power tv mount that folds up and down and was going to have the tv's usb port to a 5v usb relay board so when tv is turned on mount lowers and raises when turned off. just not positive how to wire up the 12v relays. It has a wired remote and also a rf remote. I currently don't have the wired remote plugged in so I was just going to feed those pins for the control. Thanks for any suggestions Michael

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
You might need more than a relay. If the wired remote had buttons for "down" and "up", maybe the answer is an Arduino which senses the USB port status and then activates an optocoupler or relay to operate the appropriate button.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
1713231111651.png
just need 5VDC relay with DPDT contacts, diode across relay coil, 12V supply for the motor, 12V motor and pair of normally closed limits switches, one for up position, one for down position.

as shown in the sketch, when relay is energized by 5V from TVs USB, relay contacts move to "no" position and motor runs until down limit switch is reached - then it stops.
when TV is switched off, USB power is gone and relay returns to "nc" position so motor runs up until limit switch is reached and it stops.

you don't need the other remote, just use TV remote to turn the TV on/off...

Last edited:

Hornnumb2

Joined Jan 17, 2013
I bought th
View attachment 320036
just need 5VDC relay with DPDT contacts, diode across relay coil, 12V supply for the motor, 12V motor and pair of normally closed limits switches, one for up position, one for down position.

as shown in the sketch, when relay is energized by 5V from TVs USB, relay contacts move to "no" position and motor runs until down limit switch is reached - then it stops.
when TV is switched off, USB power is gone and relay returns to "nc" position so motor runs up until limit switch is reached and it stops.

you don't need the other remote, just use TV remote to turn the TV on/off...
i bought this switch will it work like your diagram? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081RLY4T8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
that is not just a relay, it has on board controller and needs programming. also or only has single inverting contact - SPDT (single pole , double throw). above circuit needs relay that has two (DPDT = double pole double throw). i was thinking of something like this.
1713287534469.png
you could still use that relay since it already has USB but will need slight modification so that relay is alway on when powered. then no programming is needed. and then you can use output of the USB relay to drive another relays that is DPDT. that would be the relay to drive motor.

in that case you could use the 12V relays, something like this or this or this
of course one need to know the specs of the motor to size things correctly.

Hornnumb2

Joined Jan 17, 2013
This is the rf remote receiver, I think I am going to do some testing on it. When you press remote button it lower all the way and stops and also going up. The plug for the wired remote has to be held down to achieve same result.

Attachments