refrigerator draws lesser power than a playstation 3

falade47

Joined Jan 24, 2017
Was going through some interesting facts in electrical engineering and found on a site "a refrigerator consumes less power than a Playstation 3". I need some justification and clarification to that.
Thank you

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Kind of a rigged question. The PlayStation 3 technical specifications spell out the power consumption. The power consumption of the initial PlayStation 3 units based on 90 nm Cell CPU ranges from 170–200 W during normal use, despite having a 380 W power supply. That said I have a few refrigerators the small unit I use for beer and beverages is a 70 watt unit but only when it makes cold. When it starts to get warm the compressor comes on and again it runs till it makes enough cold. The larger unit is another Whirlpool and a pretty basic 18 or 20 cu ft with a freezer on top. I have no idea what it consumes. I guess I could put the Kill-A-Watt meter on it. Anyway refrigerators only draw power when they are doing their thing and making cold. That becomes a function of us standing there with the door open wondering what we want to eat. The play station is always using power. When the game is intense using more processing power the power consumption goes up but as long as the thing is running it is using power. So yes, I can see where the play station would likely consume more power, even than a large refrigerator with more features. I do think we need to call out a specific refrigerator though.

Ron

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Kind of a rigged question. The PlayStation 3 technical specifications spell out the power consumption. The power consumption of the initial PlayStation 3 units based on 90 nm Cell CPU ranges from 170–200 W during normal use, despite having a 380 W power supply. That said I have a few refrigerators the small unit I use for beer and beverages is a 70 watt unit but only when it makes cold. When it starts to get warm the compressor comes on and again it runs till it makes enough cold. The larger unit is another Whirlpool and a pretty basic 18 or 20 cu ft with a freezer on top. I have no idea what it consumes. I guess I could put the Kill-A-Watt meter on it. Anyway refrigerators only draw power when they are doing their thing and making cold. That becomes a function of us standing there with the door open wondering what we want to eat. The play station is always using power. When the game is intense using more processing power the power consumption goes up but as long as the thing is running it is using power. So yes, I can see where the play station would likely consume more power, even than a large refrigerator with more features. I do think we need to call out a specific refrigerator though.

Ron

Is you refrigerator running? :p

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
This kind of funny but most refrigerators are only around 3 amps running.

But a bad refrigerator can use upward to 10 or more amps.

I've seen them where there coil was so dirty the compressor be so hot you could cook on it.

A good cleaning and you didn't no it was running.

falade47

Joined Jan 24, 2017
So I can say that the ps3 consumes more watt/hour than a refrigerator since the ps3 is always using power and the refrigerator only uses power when getting warm..

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Power & Performance:
Kilowatt Hrs. per Year: 375

Screenshot from 2018-03-11 12-19-59.png

People a new full size refrigerator only uses around 360 watts that's if it is running right some little better
They spec them like 1.5 amps to 5 the above can use 172 watts to run up to 575 watts
but most are right around 345 watts running they only have a 3 amp Compressor.

So a PS 3 at 380 watts would use way more power.

The compressor maybe run 10 minutes a hour

The PS3 with kids today maybe run all day and haft the night.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Lol when I was a boy a refrigerator would last forever. Now your lucky you get one paid for before it breaks down LOL.
Around here these (Siam brand) were the paradigm of the long lasting fridges.

siam.jpg

Some (LOTS) of them were in service after 40++ years. Lot of people simply replaced them because of the modern ones looked "better" and soon regretted that.

Just confirmed with my ex on the phone: the one at her grandmother's home, was running from 1959 to 2007. A failing door hinge was the reason of the replacement.

Myself, lived there until being kicked out of the window (but not replaced); can swear the fridge worked perfectly in spite of use and abuse.

/EDIT to add:
My former just called to rectify: the fridge at her grandmother's was bought around 1955 or 56.
For that she asked her grandmother sister who pinpointed the date to that time. So, go figure...

In our local Ebay (Mercado Libre) they are still sold for repair. They are called "Siam bolita" (small ball) because of the classic white small ball in the door handle.

EDIT/

Last edited:

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
So I can say that the ps3 consumes more watt/hour than a refrigerator since the ps3 is always using power and the refrigerator only uses power when getting warm..
Take care with your units. Your are basically comparing power, that is energy per unit time in the mks system ( more or less ) that is Joules per Second = watts. Watts per hour is not a useful unit for anything I can think of, it is equivalent to Joules / ( Second * Second * 60 * 60 ).

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Why do you say so?
It looks like a fridge?

Its a bit ambigous since during colder times of the year a modern fridge doesnt consume very much, there is very small fridges as well really large fridge freezers.

Also of course the playstation doesnt always take the full rated power.

To make any sense youd need to measure kilowatt hours for a playstation and some freezer, but if you think a playstation is kindof similar like a PC, it has a powerful CPU and runs software, and these are well known to be power hungry.

I could say like, yes a playstation takes more than fridge, so what? It could not be compared since a fridge is on 24 hours a playstation is not, maybe will take much less when it is not rendering a game.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Conclusion

A Playstation 3 is not a fridge. But a PS 4 might be some kind of fridge.
Is you refrigerator running? :p
To which I replied:
Yeah, I am forever chasing that thing. :)
The above is part of a very old joke in which someone ask "is your refrigerator running OK"? If they reply "yes" the response is then "you had better start running after it". So that is what the little exchange between myself and Spinnaker was all about.

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Its a bit ambigous since during colder times of the year a modern fridge doesnt consume very much, there is very small fridges as well really large fridge freezers.
Speaking for my and only my refrigerator it does not work any harder in the summer than in the winter. The refrigerator is in the kitchen and the kitchen temperature is between 68 and 70 degrees F year round. So for all purposes my refrigerator is in a somewhat controlled environment and doesn't much care what season of the year it is or what the outside temperature is.

It could not be compared since a fridge is on 24 hours a playstation is not, maybe will take much less when it is not rendering a game.
My refrigerator only runs on demand. It's a well insulated box sitting in my kitchen. When the temperature inside the box rises to a point a thermostat calls for cold and the compressor turns on making cold or removing heat. This is when it uses power and other than that, when the compressor is not running it pretty much just sits there. My kids are grown with kids of their own but I have memories of kids opening the refrigerator door and starring blankly into the open door at the contents as all the cold air poured out the open door. With the kids grown and having kids of their own that problem is gone so my refrigerator compressors run much less. :)So a refrigerator only really consumes power when it is making cold and doing its refrigerator thing and a PS 3 only consumes power when a game is being played. The end result is that when either is running the PS 3 consumes more power.

Ron