Reduce wattage for 8-Bit shift register?

DementedPurpleChicken

Joined Mar 7, 2017
I want to power an 8-Bit shift register with the 5-Volt line from an arduino, but the shift register broke because it had too many watts (Thank god I was using a simulator!) Is there any way I could reduce the wattage?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
What do you mean by simulator, what kind of simulator(hardware, software)?
Which 8-Bit shift register, the real ic number?
What exactly the wattage is?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
What shift register were you using? What else is in your circuit? A larger power source isn't an option??

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What, exactly, do you mean by it broke due to too many watts? On the surface this is a nonsensical claim, but it is probably just a strange way of expressing the symptoms of what actually occurred.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You really need to post an image of your circuit, otherwise it will take a long time and lots of questions to be answered before receiving any truly useful replies.

A wild guess tells me that you may be trying to power LEDs from the '595 outputs, but are not using current limiting resistors in series with the LEDs - or you're trying to do something like power coils directly.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You really need to post an image of your circuit, otherwise it will take a long time and lots of questions to be answered before receiving any truly useful replies.

A wild guess tells me that you may be trying to power LEDs from the '595 outputs, but are not using current limiting resistors in series with the LEDs - or you're trying to do something like power coils directly.
Well, well! Look who's here for a visit! How's Sarge and #1 doing lately?