Reduce volume on TV speakers

SerenityNetworks

Joined Dec 29, 2017
I'm new here. This forum was recommended for my question. I have some fundamental electrical knowledge, but I'm not an engineer. I saw when I went to sign up that the forum seems focused on engineers and engineering students. If this forum is not appropriate for my question then please let me know and I'll post elsewhere.

My mother has Alzheimer's and is in a memory care facility. She enjoys watching TV, but turns the volume up all the way even though she has no problem hearing. Of course, this disturbs other residents and she gets agitated when aides turn down the TV. The TV does not have any controls where I can set a maximum volume. I thought about attaching external speakers to the audio out jack, hoping it might cut off the TV's speakers, but it only does so when the unit is set to 'computer' (RGB) input. However, the TV does disassemble easily, which allows me access to the speakers and wires leading to the speakers. So I was thinking about just splicing in a variable resistor into each speaker lead and then tuning them so the maximum volume that could be achieved would not be too loud. But I have no idea what 'size' would be appropriate.

Can anyone advise on what I should use? A source and part number would be really handy. Or resistors are cheap. If it would be better to experiment with a handful of resistors to reduce the volume a fixed level then I'm willing to do that as well. I just need to have an idea on the range I'd need. Again, a source and part numbers would be handy.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I would start with 10Ω 1W resistors in series with the speakers.
If that still does not cut the volume down you could try putting two such resistors in series.
If that is too low, try 3.3Ω 1W resistors in series.

SerenityNetworks

Joined Dec 29, 2017
Excellent! Thank you so very much. I'll give it a whirl and will be sure to post back the results.

(I just wish we still had a local Radio Shack, so I didn't have to wait several days for the parts. I do have a small bag of resistors in the garage but the odds that I'll have what I will need are pretty low.)

Thanks again,
Andrew

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
If it's a remote control tv, most amplifiers are controlled by a DC voltage on the audio amp chip, usually 0 to 5V, if you know the model number of the tv, you can modify the amplifier, otherwise use the series resistor method.