Reduce Relay Arching or Sparking using programming ?

chetan.digiline

Joined Mar 11, 2019
Hello ,AAC Community
I am working on Automatic voltage Controller Project the major issue i am getting is how to reduce sparking at high voltages. I have tried using zero crossover but nothing happens.Hardware is Correct , the thing is how to reduce arching using programming by adding delay. In relay datasheet , its
operating time is 15 ms and release time is 10 ms . Help me to solve this issue......

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Is the relay switching AC or DC?
What voltage and current?
What kind of load?

You mention zero crossover but you can't do that with a mechanical relay, only with a solid state relay (which would obviously eliminate the sparking).

chetan.digiline

Joined Mar 11, 2019
Actually , AVC has two cards one is RELAY which is attached to the transformer and other one is controller one so , their is no problem in hardware , ahh.. one card is working on the system . but my card which is similar to the original one is having some issues.

and the relay i am using is KT-909 GENERAL PURPOSE POWER RELAYS

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
In relay datasheet , its operating time is 15 ms and release time is 10 ms . Help me to solve this issue......
The relay switching time is very long compared to the zero crossing intervals in the A.C. waveform, and you can't expect it to be very precise. (And it doesn't make much difference whether you have 50Hz or 60Hz service!) I think you're using the wrong component there; try a solid-state relay instead.

chetan.digiline

Joined Mar 11, 2019
The relay switching time is very long compared to the zero crossing intervals in the A.C. waveform, and you can't expect it to be very precise. (And it doesn't make much difference whether you have 50Hz or 60Hz service!) I think you're using the wrong component there; try a solid-state relay instead.
pulse time period is 20 ms and zero crossing happens every 10 ms .I am using capture mode to detect both rising and falling edge.
Our card is similar to original one and i have checked their is no issue about the hardware.

chetan.digiline

Joined Mar 11, 2019
On the datasheet.....under characteristics data.....look at Max. switching frequency.
On the datasheet.....under characteristics data.....look at Max. switching frequency.
yes sir , I have checked its showing 18000 operations / hr . Now what should i do, Actually the thing is it is working fine on original card and they are sensing zero crossover .
I am doing same thing but i dnt know whats gng on,....help me

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I can offer no suggestions without the over all context for the function. And some circuit documentation.

I don't believe that you understand the actual problem. But I don't know for sure, because I have no details.

Do you understand what switching frequency means? And can you please state what the relay switching frequency is going to be?

A mechanical relay has a switching frequency limit for various reasons. If you are driving it faster than that limit.....contact arcing is of little concern.

Also the type of load that you are switching makes a big difference too.

ALL the details matter.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Help us out and give us some clue about what you think might help your problem. Frankly I don't think there is a rational solution, but I want to keep an open mind if you think you are on to something.